Questions

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
Hi, i have been researching Nephrurus milli as i will be buying one in a about 2 weeks or so.

I would like to know what their natural habitat is like. The conditions, heat, light. kinds of plants they live amongst. I want to make its inclosure as natural as possible. ive looked all over the net and have come up with little data on these beautiful geckos and have even been looking for a book. no such luck.

I also want to put a live plant in it inclosure( for added oxygen, humidity ,look and smell.) and was thinking of one of the following plants- ficus, pothos or schefflera. my questions regarding those is how would i put it in there? and how would i water it? Do i leave it in the pot or lightly burry it in substrate. would the soil most bought plants come in be toxic if drank by a lizard when watered? these are all questions i really need answers for as i do not want this gecko to end up stressed or harmed by anything in the tank.

As for food i shall be buying crickets, woodies and mealworms to give him/her a variety of foods in its diet and will occasionally put a small dish of Reptile food pellets in there for added calcium and vitamins.

Thanks in advance to any and all that can offer some advice and answers to my questions.
-

Darren

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
I have read that repeatedly rinsing the plant(soil /roots) can get rid of a large % of any chemicals ,pesticides and or fertilizer present in the soil but is that enough? would it then be safe?.

I would also prefer to use Australian natives as they are easier to obtain and are very hardy. I will try to find non toxic plants that are potted in natural potting mix that doesn't contain any nasty additives.

Again, any suggestions/advice would be great. If live plants are too risky i won't bother.

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
Well, after spending allot of time reading and searching for info i have come up with some answers to my questions and feel im about ready to buy a thick tailed gecko within a week or so depending on when my order arrives(substrate,furniture,calcium etc).

I figured id post what ive learnt incase there are more like me who want to answers to these kinds of questions. you can never know too much;)

Live plants in gecko tank:

if you really want a live plant in your tank for one reason or another stick to something small and make sure its NON TOXIC. give the entire plant a shower, then let it drain. repeat about 3 times and you can be fairly sure any fertilizer or nasty chemicals would have drained away.

Keep the plant in its pot and take it out to water it. geckos don't like moisture. it will do them more harm than good.

Just remember its best to keep the tank clutter free and simple. geckos don't care about how nice it looks or how many rocks you have. just remember that when you give the tank a good clean out once a month you will have to dump all that stuff out . geckos like most animals are creatures of habit. They will have got used to the tank being and looking a certain way so if you have loads of stuff and don't put everything back just right your most likely going to have some stressed out geckos as they will not recognize it.

I have learnt quite allot about Nephrurus milli and about geckos in general. what to look for in regards to geckos health, what to do if god forbid it were to get sick. I also found the information i wanted about Nephrurus milli's and their habitat. it may take a while but the information is out there.

I cant wait to get mine :D-

Darren

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
Well, after spending allot of time reading and searching for info i have come up with some answers to my questions and feel im about ready to buy a thick tailed gecko within a week or so depending on when my order arrives(substrate,furniture,calcium etc).

I figured id post what ive learnt incase there are more like me who want to answers to these kinds of questions. you can never know too much;)

Live plants in gecko tank:

if you really want a live plant in your tank for one reason or another stick to something small and make sure its NON TOXIC. give the entire plant a shower, then let it drain. repeat about 3 times and you can be fairly sure any fertilizer or nasty chemicals would have drained away.

Keep the plant in its pot and take it out to water it. geckos don't like moisture. it will do them more harm than good.

Just remember its best to keep the tank clutter free and simple. geckos don't care about how nice it looks or how many rocks you have. just remember that when you give the tank a good clean out once a month you will have to dump all that stuff out . geckos like most animals are creatures of habit. They will have got used to the tank being and looking a certain way so if you have loads of stuff and don't put everything back just right your most likely going to have some stressed out geckos as they will not recognize it.

I have learnt quite allot about Nephrurus milli and about geckos in general. what to look for in regards to geckos health, what to do if god forbid it were to get sick. I also found the information i wanted about Nephrurus milli's and their habitat. it may take a while but the information is out there.

I cant wait to get mine :D
p.s I have decided against a live plant and am getting a silk one, why risk the health of your pet for the sake of a real plant. -

Darren

Visit our friends