Rack or Shelves

mydeck07

Just curious if anyone out there uses shelves instead of solid surrounded racks. My room is heated so is it really necissary to have an inclosure aound there tubs. Thanks

Zynx_Keekeio

what do you mean inclosure? because I highly doubt your room is 89-94degrees on 1 side! LOL that'd be really weird! you still have to have a single heat source preferrably uth because they disgest using the heat they soak in from their bellies. then the other side has to Cooler like70-85 more towards the upper 70s. and if the cages weren't inclosed, the geckos would escape. rack systems are built on flexwatt tape strung around the bottom back part of each shelf and the tubs slide in with air holes poked around. I'm not completely sure what you mean but I hope this helps

Zynx_Keekeio

I'm pretty sure you knew about the temperature and idobt understand your question look at ac reptiles rack pictures and tug facility and one other has a picture of their racks, racks are never enclosed like a porclien doll showcase cabinet.

mydeck07

yes i know about a heat source. LOL. what i am imposing is just single shelves running down my walls with a 4" heat tape running down. By enclosure i mean the typical rack is closed on 3 sides.These shelves would only be a single being the bottom. Thanks

Zynx_Keekeio

yes i know about a heat source. LOL. what i am imposing is just single shelves running down my walls with a 4" heat tape running down. By enclosure i mean the typical rack is closed on 3 sides.These shelves would only be a single being the bottom. Thanks

wouldn't it be risky that they might fall off? or enough support from the bottom

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm not a rack expert, but here's my 2 cents: Many people run their rack heating along the back of the unit. If you have a way around that, it's no problem. Also, most people I guess have their rack set up so the spaces for the bins is very tight and that way they don't have to use lids on the tubs --it's just like bureau drawers. Unless you can find that kind of match between the bins and the shelf height, I guess you'll have to use lids. Other than that, it sounds fine to me. I have my hatchlings in front-opening glass cages on shelves and have a rack for overflow (and, hopefully, this year for SW banded gecko babies).

Aliza

Visit our friends