Rack System

G

GeckoAZ

Do many people use a rack system if they are the typical hobbyist? I have seen small racks and them seem fairly practical....but you don't really get to see your geckos.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
Well, it depends on what you consider a typical hobbyist! When you only have a few geckos, and you're not breeding, I'd say most people use display tanks. However, if you have several leos, and are breeding, then most people switch to racks to save on space.

G

GeckoAZ

I should have said beginner-entry level to the hobby. I only have a one male and 2 females. So, the breeding is going to be quite limited. Racks seem to be the way to go once I have my display cage...perhaps a rack system to raise the hatchlings. Do you keep adult groups in them?

gko reptiles

A New Generation
You can keep adult groups in them, but I believe that it is best to keep them seperate and put them together only to breed. This way you know that intercourse has occurred and it also allows the females to lay without the eggs being disturbed by the male before you find them. A male can be very stressful when you're pregnant!
Something to consider: I've seen set ups where 2-4 females are housed and the male is introduced periodically to breed for 24 hours at a time. (He is kept in another tank/rack spot otherwise.) The lay box in the females box is HUGE. The only problem is, you don't know what eggs came from which girl.

Visit our friends