random thoughts on Blizzards and Mack patternless Snows

IMacBevan

So I was just perusing Steve Sykes site (www.geckosetc.com) and looking at his page of breeders and outstanding hatches when I looked at his updated pictures of the patternless Mack Snows that he hatched out last season. I was surprised at how much they phenotypically look like Blizzards. I know that genetically they cant be, as I understand the Mack trait it appears to be a codominant form of axanthisism whereas I had assumed the blizzard to be a true leucistic, but boy do they look similar.

Anyone else have some thoughts or opinions on them?

Ian

ExcessiveHerps

Leo Addict
IMacBevan said:
So I was just perusing Steve Sykes site (www.geckosetc.com) and looking at his page of breeders and outstanding hatches when I looked at his updated pictures of the patternless Mack Snows that he hatched out last season. I was surprised at how much they phenotypically look like Blizzards. I know that genetically they cant be, as I understand the Mack trait it appears to be a codominant form of axanthisism whereas I had assumed the blizzard to be a true leucistic, but boy do they look similar.

Anyone else have some thoughts or opinions on them?

Ian
Its just the snow triat excibited in with patternless they look more milky than normal patternless.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Hi Ian!!! I'm glad you found our new site! In response to your question, I remember when Steve hatched those first Patty-Macks, and he made the same observation. There will always be a tiny bit of room for doubt when trying to figure out the Mack genetics with the first generations of the morphs, as most of the first ones are het for "something"... and according to John Mack, even he cannot tell! Now that breeders like Steve, Kelli, and many others are working with these unique mutations, we will be able to see more and more how these traits express themselves. Exciting, huh???

IMacBevan

Hi Marcia,

You bet that is exciting. It will be interesting to see how this trait changes some of the breedings that everyone is working on (including yourself I might add). I can't begin to imagine what a Super mack snow SHTCT might look like. The mind rails against such things.

How are things with your critters? Been a good year for me hatched out a bunch of firsts that were unanticipated. Always a pleasent surprise.

Ian

Visit our friends