Refusing to see a vet

Alex G

What is it with some people and their aversion to taking their sick animals to a vet? There's a very obviously young girl on another forum I frequent who asked for help with her sick leopard gecko. This thing was skin and bone, had stuck shed in it's eyes, and looked like it hadn't seen water in a month. She took it in as a rescue and came to the forum for home remedies to rehabilitate it. I asked her why she took in a sick animal if she couldn't take it to a vet. She responded that she "was good with animals" and "had vet experience". I told her the problem was far past the point where she could do something at home to help it and that she should ask her parents to help foot the vet bill, as the animal obviously had either a heavy parasite load, a disease, or both, and she said "ur no help".

Then later today I saw a thread here where someone had another gecko at deaths door who refused to even entertain the idea of taking it to a vet to be euthanized. Instead he pondered feeding it to the tokay geckos in his yard!

Honestly, if you can't afford or have some aversion to using a vet, don't own animals!! It's really that simple!

animeavatar

I <3 Mu Mu!!
I hate it when people are like that. They think they know best but really they are making everything worse.

fl_orchidslave

I think it's mostly a lack of experience in keeping geckos. Then the expense and or inconvenience of seeking the proper medical attention. Free or cheap rescue geckos can often be very costly, requiring a lot to rehabilitate, and the time involved can be more than a person is prepared to give. Accepting the reality of the situation is just plain ignorant, and that goes back to lack of experience, and the failure to admit when one is in over their head.

jemjdragon

My mother is the same way though her view is that the vet trip will cost more than the gecko so why take it to the vet, I can always get another gecko. She was the same with my guinea pig, who died because of it.

Now that I have some money and a way to get around by myself, I just take my animals to the vet. She can complain all she wants. =]

Visit our friends