Removal of Hemipenes

bindidragon

Hi all,

I'm new here and wanted to see if anyone has experienced issues with recovery from removal of one hemipene. Carl is a male leo who will be one year old in September and has been having issues with prolapsed hemipenes for the last few months. It usually followed a shed and appeared that in some cases, his hemipenes was getting hung up on some retained shed. He hadn't been defecating and was acting down and out so the vet decided it was time to remove them. While under anesthesia, the vet was only able to "pop" one of Carl's penes. The worst offender just wouldn't pop. The other penes was removed, Carl was given an enema and came home. He appeared to be having right sided weakness and would walk and set his right hand down backwards and not try to correct it. He was back at the vet yesterday. The doc said that was the arm he received his shot in and he was putting weight on it so it's probablly just sore.. Carl had another enema since he still hasn't gone. Only a tiny piece of feces was present this morning. He still looks like he feels down and out. I guess I would too if I couldn't go!:eek: I am going to soak him tonight and try to get him to take some water from an eyedropper. I've been hearing that a drop of mineral or olive oil works, but my vet said it's digested by the time it gets to the intestines. I'm thinking of trying it anyway. I report back on Monday, and I hope I have some good news. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

bindidragon

Well, I gave Carl a nice, warm bath and a drop of olive oil and some water. I rubbed his belly, too! He ate 3 butterworms last night as well. The poor guy still hasn't defecated, and he still looks off. And I thought I took a long time to come out of anesthesia! Is it normal for a leo to still be affected by anesthesia given on Monday? He did get "dazzle" so he had the good stuff. I'm going to soak him and give him water again tonight. I'm thinking of taking him out to walk around a bit and, hopefully, get things moving. My poor baby boy has been through so much. He always does things the hard way.

Geckomaster743

Awh! I hope things work out, My gecko has had some problem with the Hemipenes a lot this month but he's been able to reinsert them and give me quite the scare!

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Hope things are going okay. Keep us updated on how your gecko is doing. Welcome to the forum by the way!

bindidragon

I had Carl at the vet yesterday because he still hasn't gone. His suture from the removal of his hemipene is gone so that is looking good although his vent area appears bruised. The vet can feel a hard mass in his upper abdomen that feels like feces. He is kept on paper towels. Dr. T thinks it could be exoskeletons from mealies or, it's possible, something else. Carl had another enema.:( The vet said peanut butter gets things moving, but gex don't like it. I soaked Carl again last night and got a bit of peanut butter in him. I have to check back Saturday. Dr. T said there are more risks for surgery for obstruction, and there are complications like formation of scar tissue. Carl is such a sweet, special boy, I don't want to have to put him through more surgery. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to "move" a leo? Any thoughts on what this obstruction can be and how I can get rid of it?

Carl is a special needs rescue who is absolutely gorgeous. A breeder was going to cull him because he had a "thick neck." He had issues during shipping and has depth perception problems. He is a gorgeous boy who deserves to be happy and healthy.

Thanks!

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Sorry to hear your little guy has to go through all this! He's lucky to have you though. Most people wouldn't bother.

I don't have much experience with this, but you could try crickets or roaches for awhile until he's back to normal. They have thinner exoskeletons so are easier to digest than mealworms. You could try mineral oil to see if that gets him moving. It would probably be easier to get him to take that than the peanut butter, just put a drop on his nose and he'll lick it off. Good luck!!

bindidragon

Thanks! I'm going to try the mineral oil, massaging his belly from snout to vent while in a warm bath tonight. I was told that feeding him waxies would slide things out. I have crix, waxies and butterworms for him...no more mealies! Hopefully, things will "come out all right.":eek:

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I don't know if anyone mentioned the Repti-Aid type products? (Nutrition/appetite supplments) They're usually kinda greasy... they might help. The animals usually like them, and they'd provide nutrition too.

Hang in there! We're all pulling for the little guy!

bindidragon

Carl ate 3 crix last night. He also climbed in his hammock and tried so hard to go and all he got for his effort was a tiny, tiny urate. I soaked him and massaged his belly and gave him a drop of mineral oil. I thought he would lick the drop right off the tip of his snout like my girls used to, but he is difficult! More soaks when I get home from work. I'm really concerned about him. He will have been with me for one year on June 24. He will be 2 in September.

bindidragon

I forgot to mention that I do have Repti-Aid! I gave it to my girls last year and it is icky and greasy. I will try that tonight as well! Thanks!

bindidragon

Carl still hasn't gone.:( I've been doing the warm water soaks twice a day and giving mineral oil. I'm really concerned because it's been 2 1/2 weeks (5/29) since he last had a bowel movement. The temp on his warm side is 88-89. His girlfriend misses him. And she is NOT a leo!! She is a yellow Saharan uromastyx! For some reason Carl wants nothing to do with Marnie (1 yr old female uro), but is VERY interested in Ubie uro!:confused:

bindidragon

CARL WENT FRIDAY NIGHT!!:) Yep, he FINALLY got out a nice, big poop! He also went a bit more during the night. It was so nice to have a good report for the vet. Dr. T said to keep up the soaks and check back in a week. Hopefully, Carl will keep things "moving along." He hasn't eaten since then, but he did shed early in the morning on Friday and he ate his skin. I'm hoping and praying Carl keeps up the good work! Thanks for all your suggestions and support! Now if only Marnie would eat and do more than make urates!:confused: Oh these geckos!

Geckomaster743

Wow thats great! Bindi keep us updated with how carl's doing and even after this please continue to post about his growth! You would be a great contribution to this forum as we are trying to gather more Gecko owners to the community :) Im really proud that you took in Carl despite his problems. I know alot of people who would give up on carl so thanks for being a responsible gecko owner!

bindidragon

Thank you from me and Carl for all the healing thoughts! There was no other option than to do what I had to for Carl. He's my baby and gets all the doctor care he needs. I also have another female special needs leo, Marnie. She hatched with a deformed right arm/hand. The vet says she doesn't have an ulna and her hand only has three fingers so she can't use it. She is a real love! My baby girl, Peanut, was a maimed beardie. I have a special place in my heart for those little ones! It's so wonderful to see how trusting, affectionate and happy they are to find out someone wants and loves them! When I look for a lizard, I always ask if there's one no one wants and/or needs special care. I also have an 11 year old beardie and 3 yr old yellow Saharan uro.

This is a wonderful site with caring people. I will keep you advised on Carl's progress.

Thanks again for everything!

Geckomaster743

Great to hear your staying! If you look around in the Forums you may find some information and tips on how to help carl in future situations!

Rylee

3 Year Member
Glad he's ok! It's great that you take in unwanted and special-care animals, I know many people would not do that!

bindidragon

Carl ate 4 butterworms (1 was very large) last night. He STILL hasn't gone since Friday!!:confused: I thought that since he "unclogged his drain" he would have started to be regular again. I'm still soaking and administering mineral oil once a day. He used to go every day whether he ate or not. I thought males were supposed to be "easier" than females!:rolleyes:

Visit our friends