rescued leo but need help PLEASE

S

snowy

hi ive been waiting allday so i could post this thread i really need your help and advise i rescued a leopard 4 days ago she is (well think she is a she) is about 2years old since i got her she has shed with a bit of help with warm water bath its all come off now apart from over her eyes she didn't eat her skin like it says that they will do and since ive had her she hasn't eaten anything ive tried her on locus mealworm crickets and waxworm she is so thin and her tail is thin its as thin as my little finger and her body is not much thicker so can somebody please advise me on what i can do to get skin of her eyes and to get her to eat PLEASE PLEASE HELP

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
hi ive been waiting allday so i could post this thread i really need your help and advise i rescued a leopard 4 days ago she is (well think she is a she) is about 2years old since i got her she has shed with a bit of help with warm water bath its all come off now apart from over her eyes she didn't eat her skin like it says that they will do and since ive had her she hasn't eaten anything ive tried her on locus mealworm crickets and waxworm she is so thin and her tail is thin its as thin as my little finger and her body is not much thicker so can somebody please advise me on what i can do to get skin of her eyes and to get her to eat PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Hi,
Here's what I can tell you:

Skin on eyes: wet a cue tip with warm water and gently rub it over her eyes. Then try to rub off the shed. If there's a loose edge, grab it and pull. Some people recommend using tweezers but I worry about getting tweezers so near the eye

Eating: here are 3 things to try:
--hold the gecko gently and push a mealworm or cricket against her mouth. If she opens her mouth, you may be able to put it in and she'll eat it
--get some chicken baby food. Put a bit on her nose and see if she'll lick it off
--go here: http://www.geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=19356 for Marcia's slurry recipe. This is better than chicken baby food but more complicated to make. Try some dabs of this stuff on the nose

In general, if a gecko isn't eating, it may be getting used to a new environment, but if the gecko is a rescue and very skinny, it also may not be eating because it's sick. She should really have a vet visit for best results.

I hope this is helpful.

Aliza

S

snowy

thanku aliza i will try that she has just done her 1st toilet tonight so things might be on the up will keep you up to date its 3am now so im going to bed see if any food has gone when i get up ive been watching to see what shes up to at night but really not a lotshe still in her hide hole well under her log thanku again will go to link tomorrow after ive had some sleep

F

fikken

There are a variety of appetite simulators available in specialty stores and online.

sammer021486

I had a rescue that was only a few months old and I thought that I was going to have to use the gecko slurry on her, but I ended up getting lucky and was able to get her eating meal worms and that was all I feed her for two months, then after two months I started feeding crickets and meal worms.

Your best bet is to get her into a small yet large enough enclosure and keep it simple with paper towel and tubes from toilet or paper towels and to get her warm at about 90f.

My little girl when I got her had shed stuck all over her head, on her toes and was really skinny and dehydrated. The worst part in my story was that she came like that from the breeder. The other geckos from the same breeder looked fine though.

Visit our friends