Retic to be Euthanised

Embrace Calamity

I was on another reptile forum, and someone posted looking to get rid of their beautiful albino retic. They said that it was a "hassle" because it injured itself on its cage and now has mites. They said they contacted two rescues and both flaked on them (which I find hard to believe), so they're just going to take it to the vet and have it euthanised because it was a hassle. He stated he had the money to pay for the vet bills; he just didn't want to (because we all know mites are very expensive to treat). I tore into him, and the admin came and threatened to ban me because it's "wrong" for people to tell someone what they should do with their pets. What in the bloody hell is that? He's going to kill the thing because it's a "hassle" and he doesn't feel like paying for vet bills and refuses to post on other sites (like this one) or find a rescue to take it. Maybe I'm just a bleeding heart, but I think there are few things more wrong than killing an animal for such a stupid reason. I hate that forum, and I hate the admin. I've not met many people so stupid. I don't see how that could ever be considered acceptable by anyone. Maybe it's a reptile thing that I don't get? Either way, it's wrong and unacceptable and selfish, and anyone who behaves or thinks that way shouldn't be within 100 yards of any animal.

~Maggot

Fatal_S

Mel's Exotics
Didn't you get the memo? Reptiles are dispoable, like goldfish and hamsters. It's okay to treat them bad and kill them, because they're not real pets, just amusing decorations.

Was very nice of you to stand up for the snake though. Admin is retarded, but at least someone pointed out what a dork-stick (not my actual word, but being family-friendly) this guy is. Way to be one of the good guys :)

marauderhex

I'm familiar with the thread that Calamity is talking about, and this isn't the first time this particular admin has been waving the ban hammer around. Unfortunately, people will run their websites as they see fit, and the rest of us have to either play by their rules or leave the forum. I feel bad for the retic, but I am in no position to adopt it, as it's just too big for my current housing.

That's so sad, I want to cry.
I would never euthanize my gecko just because he was a "hassle". I would take him to the vet.
Not only that but it costs also a lot to euthanize.

Embrace Calamity

I'm familiar with the thread that Calamity is talking about, and this isn't the first time this particular admin has been waving the ban hammer around. Unfortunately, people will run their websites as they see fit, and the rest of us have to either play by their rules or leave the forum. I feel bad for the retic, but I am in no position to adopt it, as it's just too big for my current housing.
In a PM she once scolded me for breaking a rule that wasn't a rule, and when I pointed out it wasn't a rule, she said she could make up whatever rules she wanted. But the fact she threatened to ban me wasn't what bothered me most about the situation. It was the fact that she was supporting this guy's decision because it was his reptile. If she really gave a damn about reptiles, she would have been as upset about it as I was.
Maybe you could adopt it?
A college kid working parttime in a rented house with 4 dogs, 10 cats, 2 geckos, a rat, and a horse? Yeah, no. Definitely no.
Didn't you get the memo? Reptiles are dispoable, like goldfish and hamsters. It's okay to treat them bad and kill them, because they're not real pets, just amusing decorations.

Was very nice of you to stand up for the snake though. Admin is retarded, but at least someone pointed out what a dork-stick (not my actual word, but being family-friendly) this guy is. Way to be one of the good guys :)
It's very hard for me to stay family-friendly in this situation. Animals mean more to me than anything, and I hate anyone who will harm an animal like this.

~Maggot

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Sometimes when things can't get adopted they get put down.
Happens to cats and dogs all the time.
Yes its very sad but its a fact of life.

The Gecko Person

Can you please link me to the thread? I would definitely be interested in adopting it, and willing to treat the mites, and bring it to the vet. I know a good vet in my area.
Thanks

The Gecko Person

Here's the link you wanted. The thread is closed, but you could probably still contact the guy: http://www.reptileforums.net/forums/showthread.php?87072-Super-tiger-retic-pz-read

Thanks for the link, I talked to the owner on the phone, and I'm most likely adopting her, as long as the owner can find a way to ship her to me. I told him a few options for shipping, and I'm hoping it works out.

He seemed nice on the phone, and has experience with reptiles. He said that he has problems getting the retic to eat, and she has a few other minor flaws, all being treatable by me. The owner said that the main problem was his lack of time to take care of this retic in particular, and he has 6 other snakes (including other large constrictors), that are all healthy.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
I read the thread and didnt get the impressing that the OP was a careless man. I'm glad you ended up helping him find a good home Maggot. Too bad it was through a rant, but still a good out come :)

Embrace Calamity

Thanks for the link, I talked to the owner on the phone, and I'm most likely adopting her, as long as the owner can find a way to ship her to me. I told him a few options for shipping, and I'm hoping it works out.

He seemed nice on the phone, and has experience with reptiles. He said that he has problems getting the retic to eat, and she has a few other minor flaws, all being treatable by me. The owner said that the main problem was his lack of time to take care of this retic in particular, and he has 6 other snakes (including other large constrictors), that are all healthy.
THANK GOD. And I really don't care what his excuses are. It's just not acceptable to kill a pet after putting so little effort into alternatives, and anyone who would doesn't deserve to own any pets at all.

~Maggot

Visit our friends