S.I.M. egg containers for crested gecko eggs

Yarok

Anyone use the sim egg box for incubating eggs? it suspends the eggs over the substrate, supposed to be a better way to hatch eggs. Any info on this subject would be most appreciated. Also a detailed description of the egg incubating process would be great, for example, medium/ water ratio, time of medium, container, incubator, temperature and humidity or any other useful tips from experienced breeders. Just got a nice red female, supposedly gravid too = ).Thanks guys

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I've been using the SIM for the last 3 years. It works well. If you're using it with a hobovator, though, you need a special modification because otherwise things will dry out since hobovators provide heat from the top. In general, I find I have to use a lot of water in the substrate to achieve some condensation on the sides, as recommended. Since the eggs aren't touching the substrate, you won't mess them up by adding more water. I can get about 40 leopard/AFT/Coleonyx eggs in one SIM. The incubation time is supposed to be shorter when using the SIM but I haven't found that to be the case for me.
If you want general incubation info, I'd recommend using google or asking more specific questions.

Aliza

lizardlady

hi. sorry to butt in guys I have just bought a female crestie for my male in the hope they will breed eventually.i have read so many things lately and been told so many other things I don't know what to do. the first thing the breeder said there is no need to put a laying box/tray in the viv they stick their eggs on the glass. should I put a tray with some vermicult? in it anyway? also can someone tell me the right temp to set my incubator

Caleb C

hi. sorry to butt in guys I have just bought a female crestie for my male in the hope they will breed eventually.i have read so many things lately and been told so many other things I don't know what to do. the first thing the breeder said there is no need to put a laying box/tray in the viv they stick their eggs on the glass. should I put a tray with some vermicult? in it anyway? also can someone tell me the right temp to set my incubator
I don't have experience with crested geckos, but how heavy are yours? I believe that they lay eggs in lay boxes, often filled with moist coco fiber dirt, such as eco earth. People often don't use incubators at all, and put them somewhere where the temperature will not fluctuate. I'm not 100% sure on what the temp is, but I think it's 70-75. I'm sure someone with experience will drop in and help you out. It's best to google information regarding crested gecko breeding, and read many different articles to get a good idea of what breeders do.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I breed gargs, not cresties, but cresties definitely do not glue their eggs to anything. They bury them like leopard geckos. I think the temp range for them is about 68-78. Room temp works. I use an incubator (set at 74) for my gargs because I live in New England and the room temp can vary between 65-95 during the course of breeding season.

Aliza

lizardlady

thankyou for the info new England? I am in England a bit colder here methinks, so I will definatly be using my incubator

Visit our friends