salamanders?

cheeseball705

cant say for certain about ohio but when i was in college my neighbors loved to go looking at night for herps. they started at end of march and all thru april. and i went to penn state in state college pa so it was only a little warmer than ohio prob

snowgyre

You should be in the midst of the annual Ambystoma sp. orgy. You have at least two, probably 3, Ambystoma species in Ohio including the spotted salamander Ambystoma maculata, Jefferson's salamander Ambystoma jeffersonii, and the eastern tiger salamader Ambystoma tigrinis.

These salamander species are among the first to emerge and mass migrate to traditional breeder grounds by the thousands. In New York, I've seen spotted salamanders migrating across snow to get to recently thawed ponds. I would check any Vernal pools, aka temporary bodies of water that are from snow melt that dry by summer, for salamanders. Fishless ponds are particularly important. Carefully turn over logs in the area and put the logs back in the exact position you found them after checking so you don't damage any potential hiding spots for the salamanders and other species.

Listen for (click for sounds) wood frogs and spring peepers to locate potential breeding sites. Wood frogs are among the very first amphibians to emerge in spring, and is the only species of frog that can be found in Alaska because it survives the winter by becoming frozen solid! Neat, huh?

dean

Once their out of the ponds, i used to catch dozens under newspaper/cardboard in ditches, beside mailboxes, even found some in the storm drains on my grandpa's street in the center of town. when I was a kid in Houston(B.C.) we found 3 in an old well swimming around in February! probably 3' of snow still, and below 0.

Visit our friends