Salmonella question, gonna be a new Leo owner soon!

av0827713

Hi!! I noticed on a couple videos I've watched researching Leos that they do carry salmonella just like all other reptiles however it's less risky than having a red eared slider for example. however I also noticed besides that people still play with their Leos allowing them on their face and their beds etc. I was wondering if it's safe to do those things also or if I might want to avoid that still?

TheGeckoDekko

I've had 2 leos for over 7 years now and they've never been a problem.
This is really up to you if you want to be cautious, you can, but if you want to interact a lot, by all means, that's fine too.

The best thing to do to keep you and the leos safe is to wash your hands thoroughly after handling them or their terrarium.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
All reptiles, amphibians and small mammals are potential salmonella carriers. I think it's really an issue for someone who is immuno-compromised who probably should not touch these animals at all. I have no idea how many of these animals are actually carrying salmonella. I also have had no problems after 17 years of caring for many geckos. Handwashing after handling is a good idea and I would refrain from kissing a gecko!

Aliza

av0827713

All reptiles, amphibians and small mammals are potential salmonella carriers. I think it's really an issue for someone who is immuno-compromised who probably should not touch these animals at all. I have no idea how many of these animals are actually carrying salmonella. I also have had no problems after 17 years of caring for many geckos. Handwashing after handling is a good idea and I would refrain from kissing a gecko!

Aliza
Thank you!!

Visit our friends