Sand/Calcium Sand/Colored Sand

Jordan1

My Petco here is bad too. They have about 6-8 in a 5 gallon and the water is always low and disgusting the mealworms in the bowl are dead and only one hid. The cage is always dirty and all the geckos are always skinny, sick or injured. I've seen one with a missing eye and so far about three with freshly pulled off tails. The petsmart is better, but no by much. I buy all my reptiles (that arent from breeders or shows) from a local store called carols critters. they have a lot more to choose from and take care of them so much better.
The water at my pets store is filled with slim and are always low and they put fully grown crickets in with the 3-4 inch leopard geckos

Jordan1

its not only with the leopard geckos the crested geckos are mistreated i seen 3 in a 5 gallon tank with a thin layer of sand as suubstrate one tree and small water dish and thats it the hermit and haloween crabs are probaly the best treated animal there and the ball pythons there 20 baby ball python in a 10 gallon tank with 1 tree a small house and paper towel that doesnt cover the whole floor as substrate. the last one is the blue gecko it has 1-3 inches of soft woodchips as substrate and a small stump lots of trees and a rock and its a breeding pair of blue geckos so only 2 but i dont like the way its setup and the food is everywheres so i think im buying one of the blue geckos because i cant house 15 gallon tank at the moment but 10 gall fits right perfect on my desk so i might just get the 1 gecko

BuddyTony

ill try to get a video from my petstore showing u wat they have . there not the greatest pet store but some r pretty good and ill try to get vids of all my local pet stores

Ruby

At the Petsmart closest to my house I've never noticed any crowding(which is surprising, generally rodents are crammed into too small cages, etc.) I go there to get aquatic plants and fish supplies. :)

Geckomaster743

Thats cool. Not all Pet locations are bad but the Common petsmart mistreats their pets. I wish that there was some form of training before they handled the animals. Grabbing from the tail and placing them on Dangerous substrates isnt a good idea :/

Margi San Diego

Great review i dont ever think ill use sand with any reptile i have or ever will thanks for the very detailed review i hope this can save some geckos or any other reptile
My vet said sand is fine. If they have a calcium lick, they shouldn't crave more. I put calcium powder in a small bottle cap and she seems okay. Of course, every creature is different. I prefer the "indoor outdoor carpet" type cage liner because it can be cleaned. Sand at $15 a pop adds up.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you're going to use sand, don't use it with a juvenile gecko and use play sand as opposed to calcium sand. I don't really believe that geckos can self regulate their calcium but also haven't read any research about it.

Aliza

Jupiter

What a loser. There should be a license for who they sell animals too. Atleast some experience and training classes. Last year when i went to Petsmart ( I always go just to look around to see if i can find some thing cool for my Geckos like a new hide or some thing ) and i saw this girl dragging her dog and the collar was choking him all because she wanted to pet another dog. I couldn't go home thinking that dog would be ok because of the way that 6 Year old was treating her dog. Spoiled little runt. I also dislike this lady at my Petsmart named Pam because when she gave me my 7th Gecko ( The one that lost the tail to another gecko:( ) She shook the tree that took up most of the room of the cage and all the geckos were flinging around and i thought she squashed one. After that when she finally got the one i wanted she grabbed it by its tail and tossed it in to the carrier like it was trash. If i could buy that Petsmart location she would be fired in an instant.
This just makes me hate petsmart. At least the guy who took my gecko out of the tank didn't yeet him out. I wish they would hire people with s o m e experience or at least show them how to handle animals ):<
I'm glad I didn't use that colored sand.

Visit our friends