sand or no sand

Samantha

my 1 to 2 year old geckos i got from a girl i met online and she used sand with them and they did ok with the vita-sand it keeps the tank at the right temps too. should i take out the sand and put in something else??? let me know what you think i should do!

Samantha

also my other gecko (different tank no sand) has been trying to eat the cloth i put down on the bottom of the tank is this normal. i then decided to put a calcium dish in the tank and he ate a good bit of the powder is this ok??? he is only about 3 months and is an aptor so please let me know on both topics

Samantha

please let me know what you think on my posts so i can learn and make my geckos happy as possible

JordanAng420

Here's an entire thread about calci-sand. Be prepared, it's quite a heated topic, and it's a little bit of reading. So grab a beverage of choice and have a seat. http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=38655&highlight=sand

If it's trying to eat the cloth you have in there, I wouldn't use sand. You can use paper towels, repticarpet, or that stuff that's used to line drawers with. It's normal for him to be eating the calcium. Geckos will do this as they feel the need for it.

In a 20 gallon long, depending on the size of the females, you could probably fit 2 or 3 girls.

GeckoGal

GeckoGal
I personally wouldn't use sand, why risk the life of my leo and impaction? like Maia said it's normal that they eat the calcium. 20 gallon could fit 3.
(And don't put the 3 month old in with the older ones, she could get bullied.)

Samantha

i know the younger one is in its own 10 gal tank and the other three females i have are in a seprate 20 gal long tank...what else could i use for ground cover and where could i get tile from and would you recomend using this for the tank???

JordanAng420

Tile is great! I know that if you go to Home Depot or Lowes, they will cut it for you so that it fits the tank. I'm sure they sell it there too. It's a little pricey, but it's something that you can wash and reuse over and over, so its worth it IMO.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
+1 for tile or paper towels. I know the sand debate is heated, but I feel if there is even a slight chance of impaction, why risk it? And calci sand actually increases the chance for impaction because it encourages the geckos to eat sand. Go with a non-loose substrate. Better safe than sorry.

L

leopardgeckos

your gecko can get an impaction i reccomend ECO CARPET made from natural materal u can get it from pet stores

clegault

personally i use slate tiles for my older geckos and my younger ones are on paper towel- they would be on slate as well but i didnt get any cut down to fit their terrariums and my one male has limited use of his back legs (still) and cant grip anything besides the paper towel to get around his terrarium

L

leopardgeckos

repti carpets are easy to clean and 100% safe thats what i use

Visit our friends