Sanitizing Large Branches/Bioactive Terrarium

ThatOnePossum

Hallo! I'm planning on getting a crested gecko soon- my first reptile, so I'm a bit new. I have a large terrarium (roughly 24"x14"x36") and so naturally it'll need at least a few longer branches. From what I understand, smaller branches can be baked, but these would be too large to do that. What are my other options for sanitizing them? I don't want to buy pre-sanitized branches since those would wrack up to WAY over my price range for enclosure setup.
I've also been wondering if I can do a bioactive setup with Eco Earth as the substrate. I know that it can't support plant life, so I was thinking I'd keep the plants in pots (sunk down in the Eco Earth so they can't crush the gecko), and have a drainage layer to catch the runoff. Would this work for a bioactive? Thanks!
Edit: Is it safe to use driftwood from next to a river, or should I stick to wood that I can identify? I have a really cool stick that I found a while back that I saved for a terrarium, but a cool stick isn’t worth an unhealthy gecko!

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
In my opinion (others may not agree) if you bring the branch inside and leave it inside for a few weeks it should be OK and any other creatures on it will enhance your "bio action". I've used eco earth for all of my enclosures. If you can add a bit of compost that will help. Also the gecko poop will help (and you could put some slices of fruit or veggie in there too).

Aliza

ThatOnePossum

In my opinion (others may not agree) if you bring the branch inside and leave it inside for a few weeks it should be OK and any other creatures on it will enhance your "bio action". I've used eco earth for all of my enclosures. If you can add a bit of compost that will help. Also the gecko poop will help (and you could put some slices of fruit or veggie in there too).

Aliza
Thanks! That kinda makes sense- anything on it would need food, and it can’t really get that on a shelf!

Visit our friends