Sculpted Humid Hides!!!

morphmom

I'm not a huge fan of making styrofoam/grout hides as I just can't stand the mess, so picked up some foam based molding clay and this is the progress so far. (working on the painting now;))

-You can see that I've made a sort of cover for the container. The goal is to make really unique humid hides that are functional. The star/moon theme is for a friend of mine. She'd also like another one with a sun design. Should be fun:)

Here's what I'm working on for my Tremper Albino Giant, "Mylo"

-This should keep him from kicking his coco fiber all over the dang viv! LOL!:main_laugh:

Here's Mylo's "cool side" hide

It's a coconut with a salt dough ramp:D

And just for fun, here's my very handsome baby Mylo. He's 46grams and about 8inches long. He'll be 6 months old in 2 days!:balloon3:

morphmom

Thank you drcarrottail. It started off as a ramp and just turned into a slide!:D The foam clay has a lot of grip so he should be able to climb it with ease.
Blaze: The opening was made by a hole saw. It's used for hand held power drills. I heated the container up in very hot water then punched a small pilot hole in the center. I put a roll of industrial tape under where I wanted to drill and lined the bit up with the pilot hole. The role of tape just acted as a support. The center of the tape roll is about twice the diameter of the hole saw:)

morphmom

Aw, no problem. The painting will really bring everything together. I'll keep updating. This is my first time working with this type of clay so I'm learning a lot:)

ReptileKyle

WOW! That's really cool! You should paint them a nice tan color. You could probably start a small business with those hides. Keep up the good work!

morphmom

Thank you very much ReptileKyle. The smaller one is for a customer/friend. She requested a Moon/Star theme for one and a sun theme for the other. The larger one is for my little Mylo and it's meant to fit his winter themed viv. I'd love to make more of these. The best part is that the foam based clay is moisture resistant so that plus the sealer should allow the cover to hold up for a long time:)
-I'll update again once the painting is done.

morphmom

Here's the finished product. I still need to seal it and the camera really doesn't do the colors justice, but I'm pleased with how it turned out:)

warhawk77

Very nice. The foam modeling clay where did you get it? I have seen the modeling clay and that would be a cool idea but not sure I have the talent

bfb345

Snake Wrangler
And awesome giant btw I just picked up a Mack snow tremper giant pos super giant I can't wait he is only a mont and a half old so we will see

morphmom

Very nice. The foam modeling clay where did you get it? I have seen the modeling clay and that would be a cool idea but not sure I have the talent
Crayola Brand from Walmart. About $2 a pack:) It never hurts to try, you can always give it a shot.
-Thank you bfb345! I just love him to itty-bitty bits! Such a calm sweet babe. He turned 6 months old yesterday. I have a bearded dragon and really felt I needed a bigger Leo! LOL! Congrats on your babe. I'd really love to see him. Do you have a link?

morphmom

How much would you sell custom ones for? Like, if we wanted to order one from you?

It depends on what you'd like. I Don't charge for my time, or my paint, ever. but, I have to charge for clay and shipping. It's the shipping that gets ya as I'm in Canada. This maybe as much as $20!
You would have to let me know if you need a small (average gecko) or a large (Giant/ super Giant), then if you'd like top opening or side, then theme. The clay takes one week to cure, and one week to paint, then the time it takes to get there, one or two weeks.
If your willing to wait the time it takes, then I will gladly make you what ever you'd like. Just let me know:)

morphmom

I finally got Mylo's humid hide painted. There's a few things I may change in the future, I'm never happy with my own work but I think it's o.k. for now:)

I'll be starting a sun themed humid hide today to go to my friend who ordered the star/moon theme. Should be lots of fun!:D

morphmom

(Too much coco fiberz mom!)

(Now Iz likez it!)

I worked for weeks on this one, made it twice the size I would have for an average sized Gecko and now I have to make another. I'll be lucky if it lasts him a month:rolleyes:

Visit our friends