Sexing young geckos

DragonRain

I have a gecko baby that hatched on June 14th.

She (I incubated female) is growing really fast. Last sunday she weighed 19 grams. I haven't weighed her yet this week but she's been gaining an average of 3 - 4 grams or so a week.

I'm trying to sex her (calling her a she until she proves me otherwise), but I've never sexed one so young before. I have her parents here to compare too, and I think she looks female to me. But I'm not 100% sure. I can see very tiny pores, but they are small and look more like my adult female's pores than my adult male's.

How obvious would the pores be on a 20 gram male compared to a female? How obvious would the hemipenis bulges be on a 20 gram male?

I'm just curious. I'm keeping this gecko either way so the sex isn't a huge deal either way. This is my first hatchling :)

Thanks!

DragonRain

If these help any...

f157378b.jpg

df602c5e.jpg

Landen

LSReptiles
I've noticed the first signs of males tend to be the hemipene bulges. The pores tend to not be pronounced too much until they mature a little more. When they are right on the edge of being able to tell I tend to gently pull the tail backwards and if you can get "her" to squirm a little you'll be able to see if it bulges to the sides (male) or if the bulge stays centered (female). This theory isn't always right but seems to give a better idea.

Last edited:

DragonRain

Thanks for the replies! I'll try both methods and see what happens, although I guess I'm just going to have to be patient and wait a bit longer to be sure.

Visit our friends