shed skin on toes

anbu

I did a search on this but didn't find much on the forum. my gecko has had some shed skin stuck to a few of his toes for a couple nights. I keep it nice and humid but it doesn't want to come loose. any suggestions of loosening it?

Hannibal

Gray Sky Exotics
Have you tried to to a sauna for 10-15 minutes to loosen the shed? Once soft and loosened you can take a q-tip or rounded tweezers to gently rub or carefully pull loose the shed. I actually had to do this on a gargoyle yesterday....works like a charm!

anbu

Have you tried to to a sauna for 10-15 minutes to loosen the shed? Once soft and loosened you can take a q-tip or rounded tweezers to gently rub or carefully pull loose the shed. I actually had to do this on a gargoyle yesterday....works like a charm!

how do you hold the gecko to use a q-tip on em? seems like they would squirm too much and i don't wanna hurt him :p lol

Hannibal

Gray Sky Exotics
If they don't like to be held, I put them on a branch or vine and gently try on rub the toes that have shed on them. If you have a branch or vine that has a rougher texture surface to it, sometime that is all they need after the sauna soften the shed up. The texture of the branch or vine will do the same as the q-tip would...just gave to get them walking on it over-n-over a few times.

anbu

i do have a rough vine i could try to have him walk on if he doesn't approve of the q-tip haha.
for the sauna, do you just put warm (not too warm) water in a tub with paper towel?

anbu

i put him in a sauna for 15 mins and it seemed to loosen up a bit but the skin is stuck on his nails and i can't get it off. some is still stuck to toes.
should i give him another bath a a couple days?

Hannibal

Gray Sky Exotics
You could give him a sauna 1-2x a day for a couple days to help get it off. If he seems to stressed from the saunas then skip a day or so. As long as the stuck shed is not constricting any blood flow to his digits/limbs, then he should be ok. If it's just on the nails itself then, he would be able to work if off from climbing the vine for a few days.

Visit our friends