Shed stuck in nose?

Khenut

My boy Ramses seems to have some shed stuck in both nostrils. I am spraying his cage a little more to see if that might loosen it. I also gently used tweezers and a moist Q-tip to attempt to dislodge them but it didn't help much. He doesn't seem entirely bothered by it, but they have been increasing in size over the past month. I wondered if anyone had some advice for this, because giving him a 'warm soak' is out of the question given that the shed is stuck in the INNER nose. Thank you in advance.

EDIT***

stuck-shed.png

Up close while I was taking light box pictures... You can see the flakes in his nose. I was able to get some loose a while back but it isn't really 'better' per say...

Khenut

I'm considering taking him to a Vet once I'm back home, because I don't really know what I'm doing with those things and I'd rather not hurt him. I'm careful, yes, but you never know. But thank you for the suggestion.

Geckomaster743

I'm considering taking him to a Vet once I'm back home, because I don't really know what I'm doing with those things and I'd rather not hurt him. I'm careful, yes, but you never know. But thank you for the suggestion.
Is it really that Jammed? Do geckos breath through there mouthes also?

Khenut

Generally they breath through their nose. And it isn't so much jammed as it is just covered with un-shed skin. And every time he sheds, the newest layer of skin to be shed gets stuck over it. Normally this happens over the toes and can cause them to fall off if not caught early on. Having proper humidity and temperatures helps keep that from happening, and I keep mine as perfect as I can make it. For some reason though, it appears he has some stuck in his nose. It could be that he has a respiratory infection, but that's something the Vet can figure out I suppose. I was just hoping someone else had a similar occurrence, because I can't find a damned thing online about it.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
How is he doing today? Any luck freeing up that shed skin? I'm kind of surprised to hear there isn't anything online about this.

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I've suggested this before: take him into the bathroom while a family member is taking a shower. Lots of humidity. Then try rolling your finger down the nostril, from between the eyes toward the mouth. I've found when its really moist like that, it will roll and stick to itself and to your finger, and hopefully pull right out.

I know they struggle, but be calm and patient. Only hold your gecko firmly for short periods of time. Let them relax and walk on you between tries. The heat and humidity should help make the dead skin rubbery and sticky, so you should be able to get it out. GOOD LUCK!

Khenut

I agree Josh. It's really strange. I just got back from a trip so I am going to do a check-up on him tonight.

I appreciate your help LeoLover, I will try that tonight as well. I'll let you all know what happens. :) Thank you

Khenut

Okay so I checked him out just now and it looked like one of his nostrils was getting flakier. So I used my needlenose tweezers again and carefully got it out. He nipped me, naturally, and whipped his head but it looks like it's gone now and there is no apparent damage to his little nose. I was very careful to hold him securely during that because I didn't want to hurt him. Looks good so far. I'll let him rest and calm down before I check out the other side. But from the appearance of his clear nostril, it must have been just a retained shed like I thought.

Khenut

Posted a picture of his condition. I'm still not sure if it's good he has that in there. Then again he doesn't seem bothered by it.

Visit our friends