shedded skin on my geckos toes and nose

tyler

so im sure this happens to everyone that own a leo, everytime she sheds everything but there is still skin leftover on her. i read some articles and it told me to dip her in ankle (gecko ankle) deep warm water and let her sit. it then tells me to use my fingers to remove the skin but my fingers are too big. does anyone have any tips or solutions to this problem?

Thanks!

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I like to take my gecko into the bathroom while my son is taking a hot shower. The humidity help to loosen the skin. Then you can sometimes "roll" it off like a pair of socks. Grab their foot/toe/etc firmly but gently, and let them pull it away from you. You have to patient, too! But you need to get it all off.

Just checking, but do you have a humid hide box for your gecko at all times? That usually helps them to get it all off themselves.

Apocalypse910

3 Year Member
Humid hides really cost nothing. You can cut a hole in a Tupperware container so they can climb in to it. Add some moss or soil and keep it damp at all times. Very simple - helps a ton with sheds and doubles as a laying box.

As for stuck sheds I usually very gently use tweezers to help remove extra skin. Be very careful and gentle, if the skin doesn't want to come off don't force it, soak the area a bit and try again.

A mix of water and glycerine works well if water alone isn't doing the trick.

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
Humid hides are awesome! Your geckos will really appreciate it. I use coconut fiber for the bottom, but there are tons of products available. Here's a picture.
100_6885 web.jpg

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
You got some solid advice in this thread. A humid hide will definitely help with a complete shed. Make sure you get all that old skin off!

Eve Saint

I just purchased a spray bottle of ZOO MEDS REPTI SHEDDING AID. Diamond and Sundae dont have shedding problems but this spray conditions their skin and I also figured it would give her a nice sheen for her next photo shoot :) I have a picture of the item below. I think that this item will be helpful for your shedding problems.

Attachments

• zoo-med-repti-shedding-ai.jpg
    zoo-med-repti-shedding-ai.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 58

Visit our friends