shedding decrease appetite?

sas

Hi!
I have an Aft and he is 2 months old. Do they lose their appetite before they shed? He hasn't eaten in 6 days and I know that it is common for them not to eat for a while when they are new because they are gtting used to their surroundings but his tail is thin and I'm afraid if he goes longer without food.I don't know weather to try to feed him everynight or give it a break?
He is in a 15 l tank. With a heat mat with temperature on the hot side around 93 with two hides there - one moist and one hot and then a hide on the cool side . Cool side around 80s. I got him 11 days ago. He ate fine for the first 5 days then nothing at all for 6 days so was wondering if its because he is going to shed?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Not that I am aware of. I would just give your gecko some time, make sure he is well hydrated. And if things don't improve take your gecko to a vet and get a fecal done.

sas

Ok. How long do they go without eating usually? So that I know when to take him to the vet.bits been 6 days so far

sas

Ok. Should I keep trying to feed him every evening still or give him a break? I usually take him out and place him in a separate container with a few crickets and there is a food bowl with a few meal worms always in his cage.

TranceZ

I'd say you're doing fine. I leave a small shallow container in every tub filled with meal worms. I only give them crickets maybe once a month. No need to put him in a different container to feed, I think if I did that for my geckos they wouldn't eat from a different area.

Even if you're going to give they crickets you can dump 5-9 in the cage and leave them they will be fine. I'm usually no worried about 1 or 2 remanding crix running around when there is 3 geckos in each tub lol.

sas

Ok I will do that tonight - I'll leave him in his cage and put some crickets in. I do have another question though. He was making a poo every day still - and they were normal but last night and this morning they have been runny and a bit green. Is that normal though since he hasn't eaten in nearly 7 days?

TranceZ

Could you possibly post a pic of the poop? If the poop is runny or watery and the gecko hasn't been eating could be possible signs of parasites. What substrate are you using for humid hide?

sas

I'm using moss in the humid hide but to be honest he doesn't really go in there. And paper towel as the substrate for the rest of the cage. IV already cleaned up the poo so I'll have to wait till he does it again to post a picture of it. He is drinking water though so maybe his poo is like that since hes not eating?
I know he is new and they usual go without eating for a while but his tail has gotten thinner. Its beem 7 days. The vets are closed Saturday and.Sunday so I don't know weather to wait to take him Monday if things have not changed or take him tomorrow?

sas

I got the gecko from scales and tails in Toronto. And I bought the moss from them too - its brownish greeny yellow. I did go to the store yesterday for advice but they were not very helpful and said they didn't know

sas

I got him from scales and tails and I got the moss from their too. Its a dull brownish yellow. I went back to the store yesterday to get some advice but they said they didn't know

Visit our friends