Shedding problem...

Arconna

I keep having a shedding problem with my cresty, this time it was a little worse than last time. First he couldn't get it from his feet, now he didn't shed from his whole body.
The first time I thought it was the heat, but the weather has gone down and it shouldn't be too warm now. I spray his cage every day, so I'm not sure if there is something I'm missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

N

Nastynotch

I generally wait three days before I help them out of the skin.

the skin at the feet is common.

try spraying them a bit more direct if you havent already.

and what do you keep your temps at?

Arconna

I've since put him in a 16 qt tub with moist towel, non-moist towel, and sprayed the inside so its like a giant moist hide and have him in there for a bit to see if he'll try to do something on his own.
I noticed the skin a few days ago figuring he was just in the process of shedding, but saw it again today and realized he hadn't done it. He actually bit me while I was just gently taking the old skin off and when I soaked his feet in warm water to help with that. Didn't hurt, was just weird.

As for temps, they are around 70-73 (sort of varies from spot to spot, so I think the average is about 71.5 or so). I figure for winter temperatures that was okay, and then when things warm up I'll have to keep the cage around 75 or so. If that is too cold I can use a heater to warm up that upper room.

Thanks for the reply back.

bleeding_sarcasm

Rockstar
how much ventalation does the tub have? it needs to dry out a bit for it to be able to shed, so if youre flooding it, and its just completely saturated, thats not going to help him any. if.. you idea of "spraying" means 1 or 2 squirts with a water bottle, and its staying DRY, then youre not spraying enough. shedding is not something they should be having a problem with.

is that the day time temperature? or the evening temperature? and what are you feeding?

OOOoOo i just reread your post, hes not LIVING in a 16 qt tub. then its a humidity issue. spray the cage HEAVILY once a day. thats like.. at least 1/2 a cup for a 5 gallon glass cage with a screen top. when you see he is going to start shedding, or gets dull like its going to happen soon, spray extra, twice a day.

if he still has an issue with stuck shed, put him in a deli cup [with vent holes] with about a 1/4 inch of tepid/luke warm water. if its warm to you, its too warm for him. and let him chill in there for about a half hour, then gently rub the remainder of the skin off.

Visit our friends