Shedding Problems

LeoGirl575

Hey guys! Two of my enigma leopard gecko hatchlings are having shedding problems. One is worse than the other. When they shed, they have plenty of humidity in their enclosures (humid hide), so the issue is not improper humidity. The strangest part is that the shed skin does not stick on common places like toes or tail tips, but rather, it sticks on random parts of their body that would seem easy to peel off. One has a bit stuck on her leg, but just a tiny piece, and the other has a huge strip stuck on her stomach. I have tried soaking her numerous times, keeping her in a container with moist paper towel, and misting her whole entire tank, but to no avail. The shed skin is stuck on very well. I decided to leave it, because it stresses her out a lot when I try to pull it off.

The babies are almost 3 weeks old, eating great (eating mealworms every day, and crickets occasionally - once a week or so), pooping once or twice a day, healthy poops, and are very active and acting normally (and growing very fast).

Is this shedding problem normal? And what should I do about it?

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:

LeoGirl575

It is a rack system. The bins are heated at the back to achieve 90F, and at the front it's 75F. There is good ventilation.

Theinfidel

I don't know what to say it sounds like your following the proper precautions and everything...i used 6 qrt bins for each baby on my rack and set up the rack so that the heat tape would be placed in the center of bin going from side to side and i put 1 hide on top of that area so they would be really warm and moist when it was time to shed.

LeoGirl575

Yeah, it's really strange. Because they are doing amazing, other than the bits of shed skin on them.. Should I just leave them on?

Thanks!

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
Use a wet qtip in a slow twirling motion to tease the skin off. Make sure they're well-soaked first.

Have you started giving them supplements yet? They might need vitamins...just a stab in the dark.

LZRDGRL

At least they won't lose toe tips or tail tips if the shed is stuck on the leg or stomach ;) If it doesn't get off with a q-tip, I'd just wait until it happens at the next shed, maybe. From those areas, it should go off easily. I also keep their substrate paper towel moist.

Good luck! Sounds like you're doing everything right.

Chrissy

Visit our friends