Shedding stuck on toes

supremeoutcast

Hey everyone,

I'm sure you've all seen this kind of question before so apologies in advance but I'm really struggling at the moment and could use some feedback.

My leopard gecko, Spyro, normally gets all her shedding off just fine but this month she's completely failed to get it off the toes of her front two feet. The shedding is mostly over the tips and covers the top and sides. For the last five days I've been following advice I've seen on leopard gecko websites - soaking her in warm water for 15 minutes, taking her out and rubbing her toes down with a q-tip, letting her walk over a warm towel, increasing humidity in the viv, misting the viv, making sure her moist hide has plenty of wet paper towel inside - but the shedding just doesn't seem to be coming off. Other than trying to find a local vet that might be willing to do it I can't think of what else to do and I'm really worried that she's going to end up building shedding and losing toes because of it. The difficulty seems to be that because the shedding is on the top and sides of the toes it's not rubbing loose when she walks around and although she's pretty good about being handled she squirms away and gets visibly stressed if I use the q-tip on her too much. Because she doesn't like to stay still for long I've also not had much luck with using a pair of tweezers to pinch and remove the skin either. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do to help her?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The q tip isn't going to do much. Hold the gecko on your lap. Put the edge of your shirt over its head to make it feel safe and so it can't bite you. Use your fingernails to pull the shed off --drag your fingernails from each digit towards the toe and scrape the shed off. They don't like it much but it works.

Aliza

supremeoutcast

The q tip isn't going to do much. Hold the gecko on your lap. Put the edge of your shirt over its head to make it feel safe and so it can't bite you. Use your fingernails to pull the shed off --drag your fingernails from each digit towards the toe and scrape the shed off. They don't like it much but it works.

Aliza

Thanks for the tip Aliza. I don't have particularly long nails (nail biting is one of my bad nervous habits) so I might have to use something else. Something I can actually hold in one hand while I'm holding the gecko in the other.

Music

i think what i would do put it in warm water and then slowly take it off.

it really hurts when u just scratch it out..

i can see redness on my gecko's toes when yesterday i did that...

ouchish!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I actually soak them first to make it easier but even with that, I sometimes have to use my nails a bit.

Aliza

Visit our friends