Shipping Agent Needed

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Considering this is my first season I'm pretty nervous about shipping leos. If my luck hatching babies continues I'm going to have to sell some of them :( and I'm looking for someone with experience who could ship them for me. Of course I'll handle all expenses including supplies. I'm located in Delavan, Wi and am willing to drive up to 45 minutes. I think that limits me to Jason and Jeremy. What do you guys think?

gko reptiles

A New Generation
Shipping leos isn't hard at all! When Phillip and I started shipping, we were nervous about our packages too. Finding an 'agent' may cost money, time and a lot of effort to get the packages to and from the agent and drop-spot, or whatever! and eventually, you're going to want to learn how to do it yourself! Here are a few tips on shipping:

Before you start :
1 - Set up an account with FedEx, UPS, DHL, or whoever you will primarily be shipping with.
2 - Insulated boxes can be purchased offline along with heat packs and deli cups. (Purchase all of these things before you agree to make your first shipment.)
3 - BEFORE EACH SHIPMENT: Make sure that you print out the shipping label! (Whichever web site/company that you decide to use will show you step-by-step how to buy each shipping label.)
How to pack?: : I'm sure you've seen packaged leos, but I'll break it down anyway.
1 - Put the box together; (assemble actual box, then slide in the bottom, and side styrofoam insulation pieces.)
2 - Set up the heat pack or cold pack to the side of the box. (Make sure that you read the directions on the individual heat pack because each brand is different. The directions on ours were extremely easy to follow, which makes the assembly a lot easier. Also with the heat pack keep in mind that the surface temperature get 130+ degrees, set it up close enough to warm the geckos, but not touching where the gecko could rest him/herself on top of it. A cold pack can be fastened to any side of an insulated box.)
3 - Put the leo into a deli cup with a slightly moist paper towel. (I like to spray the deli cup once with a mister and then put a dry paper towel right on top of it.)
4 - Place the leo into the container and close the lid (deli cups come with small holes already punched in the sides).
5 - Put the deli cup(s) containing the leos into the box and pack the sides with newspaper so the little guys don't get thrown around, but make sure not to cover all their air holes completely.
6 - When you're confident that the deli cups will not move during shipment, put the final piece of styrofoam insulation on top and seal the box. (The box should be taped on all sides, and the shipping label should be fastened securely.)

Learning when to ship is another story, if it's 'too hot', don't ship; and if it's 'too cold', don't ship. Those things will come with time. Also, take into account where you are shipping the package. If you're shipping to FL or SoCal in August, you might want to throw two cold packs in instead of one.

I'll try to get you the name of the place that we bought our stuff from. It wasn't too expensive, but you'd have to buy the stuff anyway. :)

gko reptiles

A New Generation
Oops! something that I forgot!! Once the package is all sealed up, and the shipping label is taped down, all you have to do is take the package to what they call "drop spots" and hand the nice lady behind the counter your package :) Best Wishes, and Good Luck!!!

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Christine I was actually hoping someone would post something like this. I really appreciate it! You're absolutely right about 'Finding an 'agent' may cost money, time and a lot of effort to get the packages to and from the agent and drop-spot, or whatever! and eventually, you're going to want to learn how to do it yourself!'. I planned on getting supplies from www.superiorenterprise.com. Thanks again!

EDIT: Would this be a good start on supplies? And are the boxes and deli cups the right size?

Solo 4.5" dia. Deli Cup Lid 100 count (.11 ea) $11.01
Solo 12 oz. 4.5 x 2.5" Pre- Punched - 100 count (.18 ea) $18.11
Insulated Shipping Box 12x9x6, 1/2" foam 8 unit bundle $25.08
30 Hr. Disposable Heat Packs (1 pack- 10 units) $10.00
40 Hr. Disposable Heat Packs (1 pack- 10 units) $10.00
1/2 lb. Gel Ice Cold Pack 1-7 cases (30 units per case) $18.50

I figure buy both 30 and 40 hour heat packs because ya never know... Oh yeah, what company do people recommend for shipping? I know Kelli uses FedEx so that was my first choice.

Last edited:
M

Montezuma

420Geckos said:
Christine I was actually hoping someone would post something like this. I really appreciate it! You're absolutely right about 'Finding an 'agent' may cost money, time and a lot of effort to get the packages to and from the agent and drop-spot, or whatever! and eventually, you're going to want to learn how to do it yourself!'. I planned on getting supplies from www.superiorenterprise.com. Thanks again!
I like Superior Enterprises but you will find you are wasting alot of money on boxes you will never see or get use from again. Go to the local shipping place and buy 10 boxes (generally you will save money due to the amount.. if they don't discount, ask for one and tell them you will be a repeat customer). Go to Home Depot and look in the insulation area for 3/4 styrofoam insulation. It will be in 2x4 sheets and 4x8 sheets. If you can get the 4x8's since they are cheaper. Now, take a sharp utility knife and cut the styrofoam to snugly fit the box... congrats you just saved about $5 a box.
Heres a little tip most people don't do but you might want to strongly consider... get a box that is more flat than tall ( in otherwords, don't get a square 8x8x8) to ship one gecko the best size is 10 long x 10 long x 6 high. The reason for this is that the box will generally be shipped on the top or bottom rather than on it's side. Trust me, your geckos will email you a thank you when they arrive ALIVE!:main_thumbsup:

gko reptiles

A New Generation
Either way you want to do it, your list sounds good to me!; but it does sound more expensive than what we paid. My husband ordered all of the supplies for us last time and we haven't had to re-order yet! He's at work at the moment, but I'll ask him when he gets home around 9PM EST tonight

We also use the 9"x12"x6" boxes and haven't had a problem yet! Also, when you ship out each order, figure out how much the shipping supplies for the individual package cost. Nine times out of ten, the reciever doesn't mind paying the extra 3-5 bucks.

Montezuma - getting boxes that are not cubical is an awesome idea! I've never really thought of it that way before! Smart thinkers make happy geckos :)

N

nora

just a quick side note... if anyone decides to ship with fedex, they will require a test package to be shipped first to make sure that it will fall within their guidelines.. fedex is particularly picky when it comes to shipping livestock, same with delta dash.

Just make sure that before you set up an account with any carrier, to check what their policies are with shipping livestock.. all carriers will have different rules and whatnot.. and the last thing you need is to have problems with a customer due to the carrier's fault, or even your own..

gko reptiles

A New Generation
Oh and you might just want to get 40 hour heat packs instead of 30's and
40's. I have heard of packages getting lost and being delivered 2 days later; the geckos were okay because they had the heat for longer! It doesn't really matter, but it is an extra precaution that you can take :)

gko reptiles

A New Generation
"just a quick side note... if anyone decides to ship with fedex, they will require a test package to be shipped first to make sure that it will fall within their guidelines.. fedex is particularly picky when it comes to shipping livestock, same with delta dash." -Nora

Good call Nora! The way that FedEx (as well as UPS and DHL) handles this is they ask you to send a dummy package to their headquarters. They just examine the package to determine that it's "safe". They do not require you to do this, but if you do not, and if something goes wrong, that it was FedEx's 'fault' persay. It is a smart thing to do though :) It is also a GOOD idea to thoroughly read over each carriers shipping policy.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Thanks for the box tip Montezuma! I will surely try that out. Nora I heard that about FedEx. I think it's a good thing too. Ok I will scrap the 30's and go with 40's only. It'll be at least a month before I have anything ready to ship so it's all good.

Visit our friends