Should i breed her next season

Tommy13b

I have a bell shes a little over a year old, had some problems when i first got her and dident shed very well and was pretty small, she nerly lost all of her toes. Well now im depateing on weather or not to breed her, Shes big enough And is Very healthy now, She has huge armpit pockets, But i dont want the babys to have trouble sheding too. Think this would be genetic or did the pet store not take good enough care of her?

JordanAng420

Most likely the shedding was due to poor husbandry issues, but the best thing to do IMO would be to test breed her before doing anything.

JordanAng420

....and by that, I mean breed her & observe the babies for any shedding issues. If it turns out to be genetic, you can either euthanize them, adopt them out, or keep them as pets.

MiamiLeos

...but dont euthanize them just because they have a little shedding issue. i'm sure plenty of people on this forum would take in a "special" gecko rather than have it put to sleep for not a very good reason.

Tommy13b

I know afew people that would like them as pets, so no worryies. Id on euthanize them if they can not have a good quality of life.

JordanAng420

Is a shedding issue really genetic?? I'm sure shed problems are obviously from a lack of a humid hide.No ??

Not necessarily...

The usual cause of dysecdysis (difficulty with shedding or abnormal shedding process) of reptiles in captivity is poor husbandry: for example, low humidity, no moist hide....

Other predisposing factors include malnutrition, protein deficiency, old scars, systemic disease and endocrinological disorders. The last two could very well be genetic. Not enough studies have been done from what I understand, though.

B

BioWorkZ

Not necessarily...

The usual cause of dysecdysis (difficulty with shedding or abnormal shedding process) of reptiles in captivity is poor husbandry: for example, low humidity, no moist hide....

Other predisposing factors include malnutrition, protein deficiency, old scars, systemic disease and endocrinological disorders. The last two could very well be genetic. Not enough studies have been done from what I understand, though.

Ohhhhh...that's explains why 1 of my geckos in the same enclosure as my other females has major shedding issues while others shed without any issues.

Visit our friends