should I get him a friend?

daveim

cats, dogs, lizards, etc.
I just got my leopard gecko a larger tank, 20L. I was also considering buying him a friend. He is about 1 year old, not sure about his weight but about 6.5 inches long from tip of tail to nose. Been housed single since last August, when he was purchased from a pet** (he had only been in their care for a couple days). Should I get him a friend?

Greyscale_Geckos

This has come up in many, many, many other threads. So I'll post my two cents here as well.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Leopard geckos are not social animals, they do not need friends. Your gecko is a male, as a male he could only "theoretically" be housed with a female. It would be considerably dangerous housing the two together because if the female ovulated before she was ready there could be dire consequences. Plus there are the chances that they will fight over food or etc. Plus the new gecko could transfer parasites (or anything really) to your male, which could also lead to generally bad times.

It is safer and more beneficial to house leopard geckos by themselves.

Riyo

Pet Human
This has come up in many, many, many other threads. So I'll post my two cents here as well.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Leopard geckos are not social animals, they do not need friends. Your gecko is a male, as a male he could only "theoretically" be housed with a female. It would be considerably dangerous housing the two together because if the female ovulated before she was ready there could be dire consequences. Plus there are the chances that they will fight over food or etc. Plus the new gecko could transfer parasites (or anything really) to your male, which could also lead to generally bad times.

It is safer and more beneficial to house leopard geckos by themselves.

I agree 110%, those are all great reasons why on top of the fact that reptiles do not form bonds with one another or with us..thus not needing friends.

daveim

cats, dogs, lizards, etc.
Keep in mind that I still have the old tank to use as a quarantine tank, or to house the other gecko if the two don't get along.
My gecko has never been all that friendly towards me... he still bites and screeches and jumps, unless I put him on my shirt. then he calms down.

L

lizardlove

Nope, not if it's male. Males CAN NOT be housed together under any circumstances. And a male and female together could get REALLY bad for the reasons stated above. Only get another gecko if you plan on keeping them in separate tanks and never putting them together.

Visit our friends