Should I pick up my Gecko if it wags it's tail at me ?

EchoAngel

Hi there, im a new Lepoard Gecko owner, and bought it's home 100% how the pet owner recomended.

I bought my Gecko from my local pet shop, and the lady got him out for me to hold before i bought him. She said he was very tame, and to wait atleast a day or two after he's in his new home before handling.

But when I put my hand in it's tank it went stiff and wagged it's tail at me, which i read up was a sign it didn't like it. I'm not scared of him, i just dont want to frighten him and put him off comming out of his home. (He only comes out rarely)

So iv left him for a week now just to be safe that he's setlled in..... and i wanted to consult this fourm before handling. What should i do if he does wag his tail at me again ?

Thankyou very much I hope for some helpful advice. ):

R

rince

Hi EchoAngel,
first of all congratulations for your new friend. Be very patient with him. Leopard geckos do get tame and most don't mind handling after a while, but this only works if he fully trusts you and understands that you are no danger to him. Give him time to get used to you. A good way to do that is, to put your hand into his habitat, flat and with the palm up. It will take hime a while, but after a whiloe he will be curious, come over and lick your hand. You can try that every day. Eventually he will walk up on your hand. Don't lift him out yet. He will be scared if you lift him out of his enclosure right away. After a while and when you see that he is comfortable with sitting on your hand, you may lift him out.
Another way to tame your new leopard gecko is to wet your knuckle and get close to him. He might smell the water and lick it from your knuckle. Over time he will learn that you are the one bringing his food and that will help us well :)
Just don't rush it and give your gecko the chance to make the first step and to take it at their own pace.
That he does not come out of his hide much, especially during the day is normal. He is nocturnal and therefore sleeps most of the day. One more thing leopard geckos get very tame, but no where close to not a dog, a cat or even a bearded dragon for that matter.

Chibii

A Bright Reptile
You just got your gecko, you should worry about his eating. Does he eat well? Then you should handle him C; Good luck. And congrats whit your new gecko.

EchoAngel

The lady at the pet shop said he probably wouldnt eat much for even up to 20 days untill he's settled in his home. ): I'v only seen him eat 2 mealworms in 1 week. The little hideing bugger haha.
But thankyou for the advice! C:

R

rince

Hello EchoAngel,
everything is fine as long as their tail is not getting skinny, as leos store fat and access water in their tails. If the tail gets skinny, you should be worried. Make sure temperatures are fine and continue offering appropriate, gut loaded feeders.
Hope you will have a ton of happy moments with your leo
Dennis

Visit our friends