Silk worms....

R

rrhill

Haven't heard anything lately. I hope it is over with, because I just hatched out a cuple thousand and I still have 35,000+ eggs to hatch out. I guess I will be the test rat to see if it is over. Yipee.

nwheat

It was a major issue from like Nov-Feb. Then, I thought they had it under control. But I noticed that bigger silkworms are unavailable again. It is quite disgusting - but keeping things as dry as possible and removing any silkworms that start to look even remotely ill helps. I bleach the containers in between batches.

I haven't had any problems when hatching eggs. My entire batch of 3000 eggs was totally fine (no disease at all) and my new batch is good so far....

Usually, they die before metamorphosing, so it is much less likely that the disease will be present in the eggs (although I believe I read that it is possible). The main problem is getting everything sterile once you've had the disease in your house (or silkworm breeding facility).

R

rrhill

I noticed that almost all the eggs I got last fall/winter never hatched (more than 1/2 didn't hatch). I don't know if it was a bad lot or the virus.I don't know if the virus would affect the eggs????
This last batch I sarted has done pretty well, I had about 75%+ hatch rate (I estimate because I have several thousand eggs hatching at once). I just set out another 5,000+ eggs to hatch out. I'll know how good this batch was in about 10 days when I move them to their new grow out tub.
My leos are chomping at the bit to get some silkies...it has been awhile!

NaughtyDawg

I hatched out 10,000 3 weeks ago with no problems. I have another 10,000 out today to hatch. Let ya know in a couple of weeks.

SirKevin

I haven't heard of it being an issue in Canada. I bought 250 silkies a week ago and I think maybe three or four have died so I don't think there's any issues.

NaughtyDawg

I hatched the 10,000 plus another 10,000 and am seeing no issues. Just received another 40,000 eggs + food.

Anyone else?

M

Marc118

Yikes....I never heard of this. I just ordered some more silks too.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
From what I remember this virus was several months ago and was linked to a particular farm, and that farm is still out of stock........ so take it as you will.

Last edited:

Visit our friends