Since we're getting into the warmer part of the year...

Adinar

Any advice on temps and such for all of us newbie owners? I've been wondering about this since it's been getting in the 80's here, so I'm sure there's others out there who are wondering the same thing.

1.) What temps do you usually have your tanks during the warmer part of the year?

2.) What is too hot in your opinion?

3.) Temps for night time.

4.) Heat lamps and other various forms of heating during these times?

5.) Keeping the room temp and a comfy level for our scaley friends.

And anything else you think is vital. :main_thumbsup:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I live in New England where temps can get into the high 90's or above in the summer time. I don't have air conditioning and don't plant to get any. I only use lights on my planted tanks which doesn't include the leos and for those tanks, if necessary, I use florescent bulbs in summer to reduce the heat generated. I don't change anything in the leo tanks in the summer. They thermoregulate so they tend to go to the cooler side of the tank when it's hot out. I figure they come from the desert so must be capable of tolerating some high temps. (In the late fall and winter this year, many of my leos went over to the cool side of the tank and went to sleep for a few months). The only gecko that gets moved in the summer is Spencer, my crestie who goes down to his basement condo when the temp gets above the mid 80's.

Aliza

BGalloway

1. Same as in winter, around 92 on the hot side and room temp on the cold side
2. 100 (Fahrenheit not Celsius). Also if the air temperature and the UTH make things too hot I always have enough water in his dish that he can soak to cool off a bit.
3. Same as during the day, maybe a bit cooler because the temperature goes down.
4. Just an under-tank heater.
5. Fans are a big help(dormitories get way too hot), or AC. Have doors and windows open at the same time to increase air flow and cool things down. Basically if you're comfortable then their cool side tank temperatures should be comfortable for them too.
Anything else? I'd say just keep an eye on them for any changes in diet or normal habits, and a chart on your computer is a good way to keep track of feeding, trends shedding, temperatures, etc.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Occasionally it gets so warm that the A/C can't keep up and we turn the rack temps down a couple of degrees. Unlike most of the country, our lows can still be in the 90's so even with the A/C on the room temp may not cool below 80F so we may have to turn our racks down to 86 to keep the room temperature down.

Visit our friends