Slate tile for enclosure

ljg990

I’ve been thinking about getting slate tile for my leopard gecko’s enclosure. I heard it’s one of the better substrates to get for them and it sounds like an easy clean up as well. I’ve been looking into it and I cannot find anywhere around me that will cut tiles to the size I need for the enclosure. I was wondering if anyone uses tile as a substrate and can maybe give me an idea as to where I can actually purchase the tile and have it cut. Thanks.

Bliss13

I bought mine from Floor and Decor (colorado) and cut them myself. But i believe Home Depot or Lowe's would be willing to cut for you. If you can't find a local shop you can try ordering slate tile online. Downside of this is cost for shipping as it is heavy and possibility of some breaking in transit. I also use a DHP to heat the tile from above and all my geckos seem to love this.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The only problem with slate tile is that the slate is thick and heavy (unless you mean flooring tile that happens to be made of slate instead of clay). One general solution to avoid cutting is to put repticarpet or some other fabric or paper substance down first and then get different sizes of tile and fit them in the best you can. The presence of the first layer will cover the small spaces that don't get covered by the tiles.

Aliza

ljg990

The only problem with slate tile is that the slate is thick and heavy (unless you mean flooring tile that happens to be made of slate instead of clay). One general solution to avoid cutting is to put repticarpet or some other fabric or paper substance down first and then get different sizes of tile and fit them in the best you can. The presence of the first layer will cover the small spaces that don't get covered by the tiles.

Aliza
I actually bought myself a tile cutter, I’m gonna go get some tiles this weekend. I was gonna get flooring tile made of slate, I like the multicolored ones.

Visit our friends