Slow moving geckos?

Desdemona

So do AFTs normally move around really slow or is my guy just odd? Its only been a few days so not sure if its just a trauma response or not. But, he moves around so slow he could show up a tortoise.. no joke. He has not tried to eat yet, so not sure if some crickets or something more exciting than worms would perk him up. He was getting mealworms at the petstore, so I am assuming he is accustomed to worms. Might get over my cricket hate and buy some tomorrow as "treats"

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
My fattail never really chased anything...she kinda sits in the middle & waits for the roaches to run in front of her...but she was used to me tong feeding her, so that may be why

~via Tapatalk~

Sadie

Mine walks around pretty slow especially when there are crickets around. she stalks them really slowly and then lunges for them.

Desdemona

Well, he moves a bit faster if scared, I put his top on yesterday in case he decided to try and get out (not sure if he can or not but didn't want to find out) and he scooted off the log pretty quick when I was slidding the top into place. I am grabbing crickets today. I have enough hungry reptiles that I should be able to get rid of them all in a day or two eliminating stink and sound (I live in a small apartment).

cherishedtiger

Mine are both pretty slow moving too. Of course mine are babies, so maybe if yours is too that might be part of the reason ?
I tong feed crickets as being so young they have a bit of a hard time hunting and actually catching anything. But at night I um... de-leg a few and let them learn hunting at night. Woken up to less crickets than I started out with so they must be catching some!
Be sure they are staying warm and humid enough too. If its too cold that will slow them down.

Desdemona

I still need to get more crickets. The last time I was at the store they only had the tiny pinhead size and huge. Nothing in the middle. I bought the little guys, but it will be a few weeks before they are ready.

cherishedtiger

Ok, that's seems to be a theme here when it comes to crickets, either pin heads or HUGE! My husband got some the other day and was only able to get the large ones. My beardie loves them but one is a full meal for my AFT's.
Wonder why there are no middle sized ones anywhere.
(I checked 3 places for mediums and all had pinhead or large) :main_thumbsdown:

Desdemona

Before I moved I lived near a reptile store and they had 4 sizes, pinhead, small, med, large. It was nice. I have a store down the road I can try. Will probably do so soon.

lilshane757

My AFT moves pretty slow too. But if you notice it barely moving at all throughout the day and night and a decrease in appetite. Make sure the temps in the tank are right. AFT's go into some what of a hibernation if the temps are lowered. And it can be detrimental if the hibernation process goes on for too long and is not done properly.

Visit our friends