Smelly Feces

Khenut

So Sagira, my new baby Leo, has been eating like a piglet and is pooing normally. Once per day, and it is healthy poo. Except for the fact it has an extremely strong odor. Ramses' poo does not smell at all, so this is quite alarming. I've been cleaning out the poo napkin every day and thoroughly cleaning what comes into contact with it, but the smell is quite strong.
I had a sick Leo some time ago, and I remember her poo smelling like this so it's making me nervous.
Once again, she's not unhealthy in appearance... I read it could be a stress thing, but I've hardly handled her at all since I got her, and she settled in quickly.
I think it may be the fact it's a 10 gallon tank, and the light above, which isn't a high wattage and just provides daylight, may be warming it further. She goes potty in her cave too, so it's not even in direct light of the lamp. Perhaps because it's her moist hide, the smell stays longer? I don't know.
Any input helps, thanks guys.

(Also, I don't think it matters in this case, but her warm side is in the low to mid-90's. The other side is mid 70's, lower in her cool cave where she poos)

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Hmmm. That's weird. There's nothing you can tell that's any different besides the stench?

Caleb C

It normally only smells for like 10-20 mins after they poop, and only if you get your face really close to the fresh poop, I never notice a smell if the poop isn't fresh.
Is the poop super watery and leaving a big stain around the tissue?

Khenut

No like I said the poop is normal. I've seen watery unhealthy poop before, and it looks fine. My guess is that the humidity of the humid hide, that she likes to go in and do her business, is what permeated the smell. I just thoroughly attempted to clean the cave out that smells, but it didn't do much for it. I bought some tiles today finally, and trashed the paper towels because they might not have helped the matter either. We shall see if this clears up. >_>

Caleb C

She poops in the humid hide? That's a bit weird.
Mine's pooped in a dry hide before, never a humid.
That was probably the reason it smelled, it usually dries up, and stops smelling, but the humidity probably kept it moist.

Khenut

Yes, and as I've been using a frequently cleaned sponge for her moist spot, I believe the sponge began to absorb the smell of the poo nearby. I had it wrapped in paper towels so that would be less likely, but nevertheless here we are. So I threw out the sponge for now. She just shed a couple days ago, so I won't have to worry about her moist hide being rebuilt until she starts graying out.
I'm very surprised at how noxious the cave has become though. It's not really porous on the inside, so I can't quite figure out why it would become so nasty even after I thoroughly cleaned it out. I suppose it will likely air out in time...
Smelly geckos are smelly. >_>

Khenut

Yeah, well, although up here it's not as cold as usual it's still not sunny. >_< I'll just let it air out outside the tank, though. Perhaps get a large bucket and soak it for a day or two. haha

Visit our friends