Snake handling

Draco

Le Dragon
My corn snake is very evasive-or at least he is when he realizes that I'm gonna pick him up. Today, I lifted his water dish off and he seemed more calm and curious than usual. I was just observing him and had my hand in there. I just waited for him to chill out a little and then moved my hand closer. I just waited, and when I just gently touched his side he got a bit nervous and when I tried to actually pick him up he made a run for the closest tunnel he made in the aspen.
Was my snake more calm because he was tired? The other times I did this he was so fast that I could barely pick him up. And that was at night, by the way. And I hate to admit it, but I'm kind of nervous when it comes to getting bitten. And he was in the S position lots of the time.
For this I'm more than likely to be told something along the lines of 'Just pick up the darn snake, for crying out loud!'
Well, this is my first snake, I guess... He doesn't like me very much now, but he is a young, good looking snow! :)

T&KBrouse

K, the Crazy Snake Lady
What you're describing really does sound like a normal behavior. You're going to need to become confident and pick him up frequently. He knows when you're scared, which will make him nervous, and he'll be more inclined to nip.
Even if you're anxious about getting bit, you're going to need to get in touch with your inner "Crocodile Hunter" and just do it. The more often you handle him, the more comfortable you'll become and the more relaxed he'll be.
Just keep in mind, if you own anything with a mouth, you're going to get bit. Try not to worry, though, its not nearly as bad as it seems.
Be persistant and you'll both be fine. :)

whkrazyk

Geck'd Out
This is what I do, I move him around with a snake hook, or long stick, till his head is away from me, then i get his tail. once i have their tails I kind of gently slide my free hand down thier belly untill I have them fairly well supported, then just lift, but be aware they will probably be very quick to get away, just let them kind of hand walk themselves, and also, you are about 110% sure to get musked, which smells pretty bad, but comes off easily with soap and hot water, Just try that every day and handle them for about 10 min. and in no time they will be alot calmer, I have raised 4 w/c rat snakes with this method, and all are more than happy to put up with my handling lol

Visit our friends