Some advice please

AmyF

Hi everyone,

I am not a leopard gecko owner, I have a bearded dragon, my neighbour recently took on a leopard gecko, I don’t know how exactly she ended up with it but the last 4days it’s not been pooping, i know nothing about geckos, I told her it probably needs uvb, she said the lady in pet shop said it doesn’t, I also know the current enclosure is not warm enough, she only has a heat mat and it’s cold here in the uk so the rest of her enclosure is probably too cold! the lizard is also in an enclosure that is too small. I have offered to find out the exact requirements for the little lady. I just wana make sure that I get everything that’s needed and that it’s all correct!

vivarium - 86 x 37.5 x 42cm
Uvb 1-2% (57cm)
Heat bulb 60w
Heat mat with thermostat

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The enclosure is a reasonable size (we recommend minimally a 20 gallon long which is 76x30x30cm. The gecko needs belly heat of low 90'sF on the floor which is why it has a heat mat. In my opinion, if the ambient temperature is comfortable for humans, it's fine for the gecko. If it gets cold, it will spend more time inside its warm hide which will trap warm air from the warm floor and keep it warm. Often people heat the air in the enclosure to the 80'sF which can dehydrate the gecko. The next most important thing is to provide appropriate supplementation. Since the leopard gecko is nocturnal, it doesn't really need UVB as a bearded dragon does (I have a dragon too), though UVB isn't harmful. It needs calcium and vitamin D3. Usually we dust the feeders every other feeding; they need less D3 than a diurnal reptile.

Aliza

Visit our friends