Some non-gecko lizards in my collection

NephrurusUK

Just thought I'd share a few pics of some of my other lizards, I mainly keep Australian Geckos, but I have a few other things as well.

I have a single female Frilled Dragon, she's 2 years old, I've been looking for a male for her for ages now, but I've only seen babies for sale, much rather buy an adult male:
DSC_0061-2.jpg

DSC_0058-1.jpg

Omnomnom
DSC_0151-2.jpg

I have a breeding pair of Bearded Dragons:
Female
DSC_0017-2.jpg

Male
DSC_0018-2.jpg

some babies from this year on day of hatching
DSC_0027-3.jpg

at a few days old
DSC_0065-3.jpg

And I also keep Gidgee Skinks (Egernia stokesii), these are quite a rare species over here in the UK, I don't know of many other people working with them over here. So I'd love to hear from anyone keeping them in other parts of the world. They are great lizards, they are completely social, developing a proper social hierachy, quite rare in reptiles.
DSC_0015-2.jpg

DSC_0660.jpg

DSC_0588.jpg

Thanks for looking.

cassicat4

Love your collection! I love your Frillie...I've always wanted one myself. The baby beardie group pic is hilarious. And that's a really neat skink! I don't think I've ever seen one before. Thanks for sharing. :)

NephrurusUK

Love your collection! I love your Frillie...I've always wanted one myself. The baby beardie group pic is hilarious. And that's a really neat skink! I don't think I've ever seen one before. Thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks for the comments. I cannot recommed frilled dragons enough, if you have the space, they are one of the best pet lizards I have ever kept. Great characters, never had any problems with any of them really, (well I lost a female due to her being egg bound, but thats about it). They eat anything and everything and can become really tame, well in my experience, I much prefer them to Bearded Dragons.

Here's another baby beardie pic, this one made me laugh lol.
DSC_0066-2.jpg

I love the skinks. What are they like temperment wise? And what do they eat?

Thanks. Temperament-wise they are great, incredibly inquisitive animals, if you put anything in their cage or do anything they will always come out and see what you're doing. They are out and about most of the time, my male (last pic in my 1st post) hides a lot, but the 2 females (other pics) are nearly always on show. They won't run away when I open their vivarium, but they don't like being picked up. They won't bite or act aggressive, they just run for it. Once you get them out and they've calmed down they are alright though. I don't handle them that much, just like watching them. They'll eat from my hand as well. Great lizards. They eat vegetables and insects, almost identical diet to that of a bearded dragon. They get mixed greens 3 times a week (this includes, kale, cabbage, pak choi, dandelion leaves, endive, and some fruit) and every other meal I place some mealworms in the bowl with their veg. They'll also eat crickets and roaches, but I only offer these ones every so often just to give them some exercise.

I heard skinks can be pretty friendly :) I'd really love one myself. I've seen a few of those in Japanese pet stores, but places here commonly have stuff you don't normally see in Western shops. There's a meerkat at my local reptile store, never have heard of keeping those as pets :s

Really great collection! Those beardie babies are adorable. And so are their parents :p

Does the frilled lizard ever throw up its frill?

Thanks for the comments. Yes I have heard of the skinks being in Japan, you also have a smaller more brightly coloured relative of theirs called Egernia depressa, which I am after as well, however last time I asked someone about them they quoted me 1000euros a baby, so waiting a while before I get any of them. We get Meerkats over here, a friend of mine has a group of 5, you don't see them in petshops though, I don't know where he got them from.

The frilled dragon doesn't really frill up, she is much too friendly, she doesn't like my dog though so has done it when she got a bit close.

lisa127

I heard skinks can be pretty friendly :) I'd really love one myself. I've seen a few of those in Japanese pet stores, but places here commonly have stuff you don't normally see in Western shops. There's a meerkat at my local reptile store, never have heard of keeping those as pets :s

Really great collection! Those beardie babies are adorable. And so are their parents :p

Does the frilled lizard ever throw up its frill?

I have a blue tongued skink. I was referring to the Gidgee skinks in particular though.

lisa127

Temperament-wise they are great, incredibly inquisitive animals, if you put anything in their cage or do anything they will always come out and see what you're doing. They are out and about most of the time, my male (last pic in my 1st post) hides a lot, but the 2 females (other pics) are nearly always on show. They won't run away when I open their vivarium, but they don't like being picked up. They won't bite or act aggressive, they just run for it. Once you get them out and they've calmed down they are alright though. I don't handle them that much, just like watching them. They'll eat from my hand as well. Great lizards. They eat vegetables and insects, almost identical diet to that of a bearded dragon. They get mixed greens 3 times a week (this includes, kale, cabbage, pak choi, dandelion leaves, endive, and some fruit) and every other meal I place some mealworms in the bowl with their veg. They'll also eat crickets and roaches, but I only offer these ones every so often just to give them some exercise.

so the Gidgee skinks diet is similar to the diet of a blue tongued skink but on a smaller scale for the live food. That's easy enough.

Visit our friends