something i need to worry about?

S

sportbike_rob

my fat tail has been in his hide since last night and hasnt moved. he seems alert and okay, eyes open, and head up. but he is just sittin in there not eating at all and laying there in the same spot for days on end. he has ate only three crickets since i had him (almost a week)and i cant get him to eat at all. i think his crickets might be too big, because he only ate three of them and they were the "runts" of the batch and he turns away from the regular sized ones. he wont touch the canned crix someone suggested on here either (forget which post). temperatures are 90 during day and 80-85 at night. (read these are the ideal temps for him) im wondering if they are just that lazy, or should i be really worried. any advice would be great.

S

sportbike_rob

well, i just went in to check on him and noticed he is now outside of his hide, however still just lying there. and wont eat anything i put down in tongs, or eat any of the crix i throw in every night, i end up just catching them and puttin them back in their box. im guessing he is still stressed from the move from the petstore to my house? i was planning to get alot of stuff this weekend for him, new/bigger enclosure and a few other goodies, but im worried if he is still not calmed down from moving, weather i should just hold off on it for a while. i was hoping to get another gecko, mabe a baby leo or something. to put his old tank to good use for a while. but if he is still having a hard time adjusting i figure i might just hold off on that for a while.

S

sportbike_rob

okay.....i think i know the problem. being the new guy i am, and confusion on my initial research. i mistook the "ideal temps" given in the info as "set the whole cage to them temps" upon further research, i found by doing it this way he couldnt "thermoregulate" properly, thus causing digestion and other problems. i corrected this, after about a minute he came out and was "investigating". he scurried over to the cool side of the tank and is now hanging out there right now. im gonna keep an eye on him, i feel so stupid right now. i hope he starts coming around. but if not i will take him to the vet to see if they can do anything.

L

LadyGecko

You hit the nail on the head
As you found out -improper temps play a large part in their total behavior-eating-moving around etc.
He should do fine now
Got any pics?
I'd love to see some
:D
Sandy

S

sportbike_rob

i gotta get a camera. ill try to get them a.s.a.p.

i heard him roaming around in the wee hours of the morining. so thats a good sign. now he is sleeping. because of the day time. i'll check on him later and see how he is doin.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sportbike_rob

update, he is doing ALOT better. since its been a while since he ate, i got him some wax worms (i hear they are a little more fatty. and he has eaten a couple of them. still wont eat my mealies i got him tho, but hey at least he has eaten something. he has been roaming alot more and seems very well.

Visit our friends