Sperm plug?

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
So, Gel has been very tired for a month already; I knew something is not right with him but besides that he is sleeping all the time, there are no other symtoms. He still has a good appetite and did not lose weight (103g!). Last night, when we checked on him again, we spotted something sticking out from his vent, it looks like sperm plugs (hard and dry, one on each side). I tried to clean it off but it is attached to his organ; I don't want to pull and cause him to prolapse.

We've booked him for a vet visit tomorrow, I hope it is the uncomfort of the sperm plug that is causing him to act so lethargic lately.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
We're back from the vet. Turns out it is not sperm plug; it is attached to the inside, but it is not prolapse either. The vet checked him all around physically, can't find anything wrong with him, besides the "thing" in his vent. He is not sure what exactly it is though, could be a membrane or skin that slipped out of place. And it could be the discomfort or pain in that area that caused Gel to act so lethargic lately. (Gel has been sleeping 24 hrs/day, and is staying away from the warm end of his enclosure; he also hasn't eaten for several days now).

So, we are prescribed a local anaesthetic gel to apply to his vent, and also an anti-inflamatory pain killer (metacam oral). Then we'll go back on Tuesday to see how he goes.

Anyone got any comments or advice for us? We're pretty lost. I know Gel must be feeling very bad, because he is always sleeping right against the glass in the cool end under broad daylight; and he is an albino! From my experience, I know they have to be very sick to do that.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Here is a picture:
Gel0926_01.jpg

The area that is stuck together is caused by the soothing gel. If you can see from the pic, there is little brownish stuff at the openning of the vent; it is dried and is attached to/part of his hemipenis.

I had soaked him and applied the gel on him twice today, he is still sleeping the whole day; no interest in food. But I can't see the "thing" if I don't lift up his tail.

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
It almost looks like a cyst or ulceration...did the vet rule out foreign object?

Does the soothing gel have an astringent action? or a demulcent action? Do you know what's in it? I'm not second-guessing the vet, but I'm curious how they're treating it...

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I don't know what exactly is in the gel, the vet just gave me several mls in a syringe, so I didn't get to see the label. But from his words, the gel does have demulcent action. I'll mention cyst or ulceration to him in the next visit, see what he thinks. Just wondering, if it is in fact an ulceration, how do we go about treating it?

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
You can't imagine how happy I'm at the moment! He ate 2 small roaches on his own last night!!! And he got those big food-staring eyes that I haven't seen for a month! I guess he is feeling a little better. We're going to see the vet this afternoon, I'll keep this updated.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Sperm plug!! We were at the vet yesterday, turns out the "thing" is just sperm plug afterall!! The vet said their hemepenes are like inverted socks, perhaps Gel was too tense the other day and so the plug looks like it is part of the hemepenes. But after several soakings and also the soothing gel, the plug became more "detached", and so he can confirm that those were just sperm plugs. When he pulled out those, I was like "WOWWA", its pretty long. I hope Gel can get back to his normal self in a few days.

spermplug.jpg

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I am SO very happy for Gel! and you!
Those are kinda weird looking. I've never seen them that shape or shade of yellow.

Yea, the dried end is almost light brownish, and they were long and curled (the one on the left is curled in circle).

Visit our friends