sperm retention in U. milii

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I have 3.9 U, milii, and they are VERY prolific breeders! I had a 100% hatch rate with mine until the very last egg of the season didn't hatch within 24 hours of it's clutchmate, and when I opened the egg the baby was fully-formed but dead.

My girls have not been exposed to a male since June, but in the last 2 weeks I have had 3 unexpected clutches laid, and 5 out of the 6 eggs are fertile! I did not 'officially' cool them, and I certainly did not expect them to start laying again until they were bred again for the 2008 season.

I wonder how many eggs they will lay from the retained sperm of last June's breedings?

preacherman

Gecko Genetics
Very interesting, Marcia! I'm glad to hear that they are so prolific. It will be very interesting to see if those eggs are fertile. I can't get enough of the pair that you sent me. They are fantastic little geckos, and (in my opinion) hold a huge amount of potential. I hope they continue to grow in popularity. I'm going to have to get some more from you soon!

dprince

Mod Squad Member
Holy smokes!! That's very interesting. Definitely let us know how these go - geckos never cease to amaze me. ;)

I

ileventhal86

hey Marcia, man if they are retaining that sperm, congrats! Mine did that a few years back when I didn't cool them but they were infertile. Since then I've always cooled them so I don't know, but good luck with 'em.
-Ira

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Well, I just got my 4th clutch of fertile eggs from 4 separate females that have not been bred since las June! I hope they all hatch and the babies are healthy.

Zbiz

T.A.I.L. REPTILES
Hrm... I guess they do retain for quite awhile... Thats good to know.

B

barbatus

I know when I bred velvet and marbled geckos back in Australia, I was volunteering at the Museum of Victoria in the Herpetology department and it was documented that these geckos would retain sperm for 2-3 years. The original hypothesis was that they sometimes don't meet mates due to shift in raining seasons/storms and droughts. Apparently if the food source is low they save the sperm for a better time to produce eggs. Hope that helps. By the way- I can't believe I remember facts like this back from high school !

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Jenn, the first few clutches were fertile, and I now have 5 babies from last June's pairings! I re-introduced the males when their eggs were no longer vialble, so I now have 5 gravid females... again!

liljenn

Wow! They must be very prolific breeders! So, on average, how many fertile clutches did you get from the June pairing?

They are such neat geckos, I think I will be doing more research over the summer about the different Australian Geckos. (Once I finish home schooling for the year, I will have time!!) I read some where that the U. Milii is one of the easiest to keep of the Aussie geckos. Why don't I see more around??

Visit our friends