Still not eating very well.....

Gecko4me

Our baby gecko that had gotten lost and we found (has been found for about 1 1/2 wks) is still so skinny. I'm not sure if he's eating, I put in 2 crickets at a time and then think they are gone, so give 2 more (the next day) and then find 3 in the cage. I think its eating some, because I'm not finding dead ones all over the cage and I think I found at least 1 spot of fresh poo (I'm going to pull the paper towel today and then I'll know for sure) but it's still so skinny. Its tail is just micro anymore. I'm not sure the age, we got it the end of July/beginning of August and its was tiny then and hasn't gotten any bigger. It as lost for about 3 wks before I happened up it in the bathroom. I keep the cage between 90-95, sometimes during the warmest part of the day, the warmest area is close to 100, but that's just the very center right under light and if you move the thermometer even to the edge of where the light is, it cools to the low 90's. Is that too warm?? It has a moist house and I've seen it twice now at the water dish, so I'm hoping its drinking, but I'm really afraid of losing it. We aren't bothering it at all, just going in once a day to feed and will peek in a few times a day. Is there anything I can do to get some weight on it?? I tried to get wax worms again at the pet store and they were out, so I'll try another pet store in a different town today when I get groceries or will order some online. If I can find somewhere that sells butter or silk worms in a small quanity, I'll try them too. I feed my other geckos mealies, but this little one doesn't seem interested in them at all, although my son has gotten the gecko to eat a few by hand feeding it, so I keep crickets for this one.

Jessie

prettyprincess3690

Try Mulberry farms; they have everything you need insect wise and are of great quality. Give wax worms a try because they are high in fat (and geckos go nuts over them) and I also love phoenix worms (EXCELLENT nutrition, plus my girls seem to love them). Do you use a UTI? The temps sound a bit iffy and a UTI with a thermostat would be best in controlling these temps more efficiently (I'd keep the warm side between 92-95, and cool side around room temperature). Remember, leos need belly head rather than ambient heat to digest food properly (lights for basking and such aren't necessary).

With that said, I think you should try slurry in the meantime to help the little guy get proper nutrition and gain some of the lost weight back (the recipe is on the health/med page) and hopefully that will help. I would also suggest that you take it to the vet for an evaluation (make sure he doesn't have parasites or other illnesses).

Anyways, good luck with everything:)

Gecko4me

Thanx. I will definitely give them a try. I love getting recommendations because its nice to know what others have had good luck with. Buying online can be a bit scary. Anyone can make a website look good. I don't have an exotic vet near, but if this little ones starts eating well and still not gaining, I will at least bring in a poo sample for a fecal test. We do have an UTI, but it didn't keep the cage warm enough, so we had to add the overhead light as well. (got a red one, so it wouldn't be as bright)

ETA, just read the slurry recipe. LOL about the "don't tell anyone you put mealworms in the blender" ya, my husband will love that one!! He'll never use the blender again!!! LOL

Jessie

Last edited:

Visit our friends