Stubborn Gravid Female! Help!!

taylor.ferris.545

So my little girl is being really stubborn, she wont stay in her lay box I'll put her in there and she just gets out, I'm worried she's not gonna lay her eggs in the lay box, she like the paper towel moist hide better. But I'm only worried because i work 12+ hour shifts and if she doesnt lay in the lay box i dont want anything to happen to the eggs while I'm at work and she wont eat. any suggestions?? Thanks!!

ppoulto

Hi there. First thing I would say is try not to force your leo in the lay box. She could associate that place with stress and be turned off using it. She will either use it or not. My Elly-May has only used the moss lay box her first time, and never again. I guess she does not like it and that is fine. On two occasions she laid the eggs in their regular hide on paper towel. Both times the eggs have been fine. One time she tried to dig and dug all the paper away laying the eggs directly on the plastic. By the time we found them they were stuck fast! We had to hydrate the area and ever so gently work them loose. That was scary!! I have purchased coco-fiber from the pet store and will try that next time.

For you what I would recommend is trying different mediums to see if there is one she may like. She also may not be ready to lay her eggs. I would just in case have her regular hide in a plastic container with lid. Line this with lots of paper towel that is moist not wet (wring it out till no more drips). Try to make sure that this is medium warmth, not too hot and not cold ( around 83 - 85F). That way if you find them some time after they have been laid they should be fine still. :) Hope that helps.

With eating, they do not generally eat when they are getting ready to lay the eggs. Don't worry she will likely be staving once she has laid them. Limit her stress - make sure she has calcium in there 24/7 to eat if needed, and let nature take it course. Good luck!!

Last edited:

Visit our friends