Votes: 0 0.0%
  • shredded paper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

Bongo

Back-woods Gecko
Paper towels are an excellent choice of substrate. Tile cut to size is also a good choice. You shouldn't keep your gecko on loose substrate such as aspen shavings or shredded paper as the gecko could ingest the material and become impacted. If you are going for a natural look to the enclosure, I recommend a bark substrate that's pieces are too large to be ingested by your gecko.

Last edited:

tod

Paper towels are an excellent choice of substrate. Tile cut to size is also a good choice. You shouldn't keep your gecko on loose substrate such as aspen shavings or shredded paper as the gecko could ingest the material and become impacted. If you are going for a natural look to the enclosure, I recommend a bark substrate that's pieces are too large to be ingested by your gecko.

thats what i was thinking the substrate there on now is their original and i was afraid of theyd ingest somhing small i believe the guy i got them from aid they were corn husks

animeavatar

I <3 Mu Mu!!
Reptile carpet gets dirty fast IMO. I think coco fibre. Paper towels are too wasteful IMO but are easier to clean.

Last edited:

NinjaDuo

If you're talking about leos then you're wrong!!! Leos live in cracks in rocks. Putting them on bark is tough on their skin and just all around terrible.

Paper towels are IMO the best choice.

MiamiLeos

Papertowels are my second favorite substrate. My first favorite is no substrate at all!. Yep. Super easy to wipe out the tubs, clean, then replace leo and items. The only substrate I really use is coco fiber in the humid hides.

tod

Papertowels are my second favorite substrate. My first favorite is no substrate at all!. Yep. Super easy to wipe out the tubs, clean, then replace leo and items. The only substrate I really use is coco fiber in the humid hides.

at one time my friend had a gecko and did that

prettyinpink

one day i hope to upgrade to reptile carpet

IMO - I hate reptile carpet. I used to use it, then many people told me to take it out. When my leos would hunt for their food they'd either get their claws stuck, or they'd bite the carpet when they'd take food in.

I don't think it would be a good idea for cresties... I would think it would take in mold.

prettyinpink

If you're talking about leos then you're wrong!!! Leos live in cracks in rocks. Putting them on bark is tough on their skin and just all around terrible.

Paper towels are IMO the best choice.

Since it's in the Crested Gecko section... I believe we're talking about CG's but they may've placed it in the wrong section.

Rosalie Spot

Are we talking about cresties? Because I was wondering if you can use cocoa fiber instead of paper towels. It keeps it nice and moist in the tank, but now people are saying paper towels in order to avoid compaction. My crestie is only two inches long (not sure how old -- must be young), and I feed her CGD, but would like to give her crickets every once in awhile. Should I, even if I keep the cocoa fiber?

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Are we talking about cresties? Because I was wondering if you can use cocoa fiber instead of paper towels. It keeps it nice and moist in the tank, but now people are saying paper towels in order to avoid compaction. My crestie is only two inches long (not sure how old -- must be young), and I feed her CGD, but would like to give her crickets every once in awhile. Should I, even if I keep the cocoa fiber?

Babies need to be kept on paper. For one, it makes it easier to notice droppings so you are sure they are eating. And yes they can get impacted on cocofiber, it does happen. I keep all my crested geckos on Paper Towel for ease of cleaning and the fact that it makes it a lot easier to find eggs. I do keep my adult sarasinorum and gargs on a coco/peat moss mix, but I feed insects in a feeding dish and garg laying spots are much more apparent than cresteds. I wouldn't keep any Rhac(or most gecko species really) that are young and under 15 grams on loose substrate.

Visit our friends