Suggestions?

clegault

My one male leopard gecko Blair has/had MBD and I think he is as recovered as he is going to get. He can use his back legs for support to stand but they don't work very well for walking so he kind of drags them- this doesn't seem to bother him and he doesn't seem to be in any pain.

He is (obviously) housed alone in a 15 gallon long. I have him on paper towel as a substrate because so far anything else ive tried he doesn't have good grip on. I would like to make his tank a little bit more enriched for him but he has a really hard time climbing without assistance. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can improve his living space?

All of my other geckos have lots of things to climb on and places to hide but Blair has a very basic tank- which basically consists of his water dish, humid hide, dry hide and an extra hide- and his calcium dish.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
Without the use of his back legs, he is limited to things for him to use. Anything you make has to have a slow slope and be easy grasped by his claws. But if he doesn't show interest in climbing i wouldn't make him things. Maybe just more low laying things for him to crawl through

B

BioWorkZ

I agree with enigmatic. If he's legs aren't working too well, I'm sure he's better off with low sloping items. Maybe no items at all. Most gecko do very well in a utilitarian type of set up. All my geckos are in tubs with just the essentials, nothing fancy.

robin

how did you treat your gecko for the MBD? apparantly it was a bad case, did he get it while under your care or someone elses care?

clegault

We didnt discover it until I was on holidays- he showed no signs of it before I had left that we were aware of- I didnt know what to look for (fully learnt my lesson and have now read up on everything medical wise for my geckos). He was left in someone elses care while I was away and thats when it was discovered, the sitter was told to just increase his calcium intake and give him extra vitamins. When I got back i got him on liquid calcium but it didnt make much of a difference in him at all. He's also still a young leo about 5-6 months and we arent entirely sure why he had a calcium deficieny in the first place- all my geckos have access to calcium and their food is dusted at least once a week.

Thanks for the suggestions with low impact ramps and things for him to tunnel through.

Last edited:

robin

how long have you been treating him? i would imagine since3 he is so young that he could very well make a full recovery but you have have to keep on with the calcium treatments. i had one hatchling develope it once for no reason and litterally i would take powdered calcium and make it into a paste (with water) and put it on his nose to lick off and when he was licking i would put more on his tongue. let me tell you after a while his MBD cleared right up. i do not know why he had this deficiency none of my others did but he made a full recovery.

clegault

This happened (was discovered) in august... I got home 3rd week of august and have been treating him with the liquid calcium up till about 2 weeks ago. I still have a dish of calcium in his tank at all times (he frequently licks it as there are always fresh tongue marks in it) and he gets dusted food at every meal which is mostly every day (I get really busy some days and dont make it to my parents to feed him- maybe once a week... We are renovating my house and I didnt want to risk the geckos health with paint fumes and dust so they currently live with my parents which is around the corner). Do you think I should get some liquid calcium and keep giving him it?

robin

yes and he needs to be fed moroften. he also needs nutrients to heal :) also give him something like herptivite twice a week. i know it may be hard to get over there but really try because honestly i think he is young enough that he can make a full recovery if to continue to give him some TLC. you might want to contact macria @ golddengategeckos for the right dosing of the liquid calcium

clegault

Im not sure if you misunderstood by how often I feed him- He gets fed once a day except the odd day in which Im extremely busy and dont get there it happens maybe once a week tops. If you did read it properly do I up his feedings to twice a day? I would love for him to make a full recovery and be back to his spunky little self! Should I give him regular calcium and the herptivite? I currently have a 2-in-one calcium that has extra vitamin supplements in it (dont know the name of it as im in class).

robin

no problem! like i said give marcia a shout about the right dosings of the liquid calcium

Neo.Reptiliac

I thought you said once a week too lol, hope he recovers. Try not feeding him twice a day. You can over feed too. If he eats too much he will vomit.

Visit our friends