Sulcatta size vs age

gko reptiles

A New Generation
Hello fellow gecko forum-ians! We're back for a moment for a question about little tortie... HE'S FREAKING HUGE! lol anyway here's the question --

He's a sulcatta tortise about 5 years old and he weighs 21lbs! I just wana know if that sounds like he's along the right growth track... he's recently moved into his new heated, insulated, above ground home outdoors, just in time for the freezing cold winter we've been having here in not-so-sunny Florida. So now he's living temporarily in our bathtub with his heat lamp. Just my luck!

Anyway, HOPE EVERYONE'S DOING WELL! and in case anyone's wondering, Troy (the "beginning" of the old GKO line) is still healthy and strong! We figure he's about 8 years old or so... weighs in at 106 grams and now has a new frog buddy that moved in with him last weekend. They're getting along great! Hope to hear from y'all soon!

Baoh

Individuals vary considerably, IME. I have had fast growers and runty ones, too. In terms of weight versus age, yours seems reasonable.

goReptiles

Check out the sulcata section at tortoiseforum.org

there is a good bit of info there and many people who are familiar with sulcatas.

I want one so bad, but I think I'm going to get a leopard tortoise instead. I wouldn't mind rescuing a sulcata, but I can't find one locally to adopt.

Visit our friends