summer an heat

MR.MACK

my gecko is doing well, eats great, looks great. question is with summer heat an humidity has been raising my terrarium up to temps round 88-90. the heat pad i have is set to a temp off 77. but tank reads a high of 90. at this temp of 90, i dont feel its neccessary to increase the humidity, the humidity is already up to 50 plus. i know the temp range for my leopard is 75-85. i presently have my lights on a timer, today i just replaced my 75 night light to 60 watt. i will do the same thing tonight when changing the daylight bulb, i am going to drop the wattage of bulb from 60watt to 40 watts. still will have light at night an day, but common sense tells me, heat will not be as intense due to my dropping wattage of bulbs. any help appreciated. let me tell you.....this is a learning experience.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here's what I do, which you can take as data points to help you make a decision: I live in New England which has hot summers. I have no AC. I also don't use lights on any of my leopard gecko cages. All the cages have under tank heaters which are on 24/7. I don't worry about the heat and the humidity at all. They're hot, I'm hot . . . In many cases, the geckos choose to spend their time on the cool side of the enclosure, which is what the cool side is for. Even my crested geckos and gargoyle geckos deal with the heat. If it gets oppressively hot, I put ice packs in their cages, but we all cope fine.

Aliza

Visit our friends