Supplements

Jolenels

3 Year Member
I was feeding Dora the leopard gecko crickets. When powdered they turned a nice pale colour and you could tell there was alot of supplement there. I have since switched to meal worms, and dusting them seems like a waste of product. So someone suggested leaving some supplement in a bowl in the tank at all times. My question is....how do I know if she is getting it? And when do I replace it? Do I put new supplement in daily? Or every few days? And it seems like none of it is dissapearing this way (I still dust the worms even though it seems redundant) so is there any way to tell she is actually getting some? Thanks.

Caleb C

They will normally lick it up themselves if they know them need it, or you can try putting some on your finger, and having her lick your finger. I've also noticed that the mealworm's exoskeleton is slippery, so the powder doesn't really cling on.

Jolenels

3 Year Member
but how often do I replace it if it's left in the tank? Daily? Or just when its gone? I won't let her lick it off me lol she already licks me an abnormal amout, I don't want her to think I taste good! Seriously, she sits on my hand and licks me repeatedly. I have to look and see if our petstores have wax or superworms...sometimes it's tough living in a small city!

Geckomaster743

but how often do I replace it if it's left in the tank? Daily? Or just when its gone? I won't let her lick it off me lol she already licks me an abnormal amout, I don't want her to think I taste good! Seriously, she sits on my hand and licks me repeatedly. I have to look and see if our petstores have wax or superworms...sometimes it's tough living in a small city!
I understand, I would put in a very small little pile on the floor of her cage maybe in front of her rock or some thing. When they have not had the Powder in a while they find it VERY ADDICTING to lick it all up as if its a drug but i doubt they will eat any more then that. So just leave a pile on the floor and if you see her licking it 5 - 10 min after its been placed in and she's well aware of it then you dont have to dust. I use Rep - Cal and Herpative but Herpative does not carry Vitamin A which can be toxic in large amounts though it carries Beta Carotene which does not replace Vitamin A, While it may be toxic geckos still need it. But for the supplement quantity for the Vitamins/Calcium dust that you are using i would do no more then 2 Pinches in one spot.

Caleb C

They don't need much, just get the end of a pen, tilt the powder container a little, and stick the end in the container like one centimeter, and just dump in that much. You don't really need to replace it, you just wash it off while you wash the substrate, since it gets everywhere, whether you use a bottle cap or not.

Jolenels

3 Year Member
My little sister suggested misting the meal worms with water lightly before I attempted to dust them...would this work well do you think?

Visit our friends