taming my beast

wgparks

So, I've had my dragon since he was maybe about a month old and now he's pushing 4, but he is still very skiddish when i try to hold him. he will settle down from time to time and will let me hold him for a little bit, but its rare. how do i get him to calm down for me, he is starting to show some aggression too, puffing up and showing me his teeth, what should i do?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I am also taming a wildman. Mine is probably close to a year old. I got him after my female beardie died of old age at 9. "Gil" loves to be out and about and doesn't like to be put back in the cage. He frequently puffs up and opens his mouth when I put him back and he bit me once. I use a glove on one hand when I handle him just in case. When he starts displaying I hold him and talk to him quietly until he closes his mouth. My plan, which I don't do that often because of my schedule, is to give him a bath some evenings and then wrap him in a towel and sit with him. I think any kind of gentle handling and hand feeding can be helpful, though if he's already 4, I wonder how much his behavior can be changed.

Aliza

wgparks

I am also taming a wildman. Mine is probably close to a year old. I got him after my female beardie died of old age at 9. "Gil" loves to be out and about and doesn't like to be put back in the cage. He frequently puffs up and opens his mouth when I put him back and he bit me once. I use a glove on one hand when I handle him just in case. When he starts displaying I hold him and talk to him quietly until he closes his mouth. My plan, which I don't do that often because of my schedule, is to give him a bath some evenings and then wrap him in a towel and sit with him. I think any kind of gentle handling and hand feeding can be helpful, though if he's already 4, I wonder how much his behavior can be changed.

Aliza

I think you missed the part where i said he (Zeus) is pushing 4 MONTHS, not years lol he will calm down enough for me to hold him briefly, but ive found he gets nervous when my dog is in the room, she is always watching him eat his worms too

GeckoCrossing

Just keep handling as normal... slide your hand in from the front between the two front legs to pick him up. Never go in from above and always go slowly. Beardies hit puberty at about 6-9 months old and go through an aggressive stage then. Again, just keep with the handling daily. I started at a few minutes daily and over two months ended up with my girl chilling on my shoulder for an hour while I read or watched TV lol.

Visit our friends