Taming of Lemmy the Leo

Phillthebass

I've had my Leo around a month now and he is around 6 months old. He took a couple of weeks to settle into his new viv over the past week I've been putting my hand in and leaving for a while and he had been curious.

Today was a mini breakthrough but also a "ah crap what do I do now, don't want to spook him"...

He climbed onto my hand and quickly walked up my arm, by this time he was out of his viv and I didn't want him to get loose. I stayed calm and managed to use my other hand to coax him into turning around and going back into his viv - phew

Just posting this as it was a bit of an oh no moment but also quite a happy moment.

Handling side progress is slow, his eating isn't the best and his tail isn't quite a plump as I think it should be but he is shedding and going to the toilet as I expect.

1st pic is Lemmy now, 2nd pic is when I got him not easy to tell from the pics but I'd say he's grown around 1/2" to 1" in length

He did lose some weight on his tail after getting him as didn't eat for a few weeks
b8e1f7732d056c01fa61cce9fc80fbf7.jpg
55bea8865cd7962ed09366ea1f5e5d66.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Looks good. Try making a little cave for him with one hand over the other and let him sit in there. He may enjoy that and it will help you find a way to hold him safely.

Aliza

Phillthebass

Progressing really well had Lemmy climb my arm quite afew times. Slight panic this morning as I couldn't find him then spotted him soon his spider-leo moves
61a02fa15acb2c3859b69c6d006e31fb.jpg

Phillthebass

Still very much a work in progress. I've updated his viv with a soil area (pic) putting him back in and he made a break for freedom. he's quick when he wants to be lol. Coaxed him into my arm and finally got him back in (had to rip apart my drawers to get to him though lol)

Need to tweek it a bit though as temps are slightly down.
45250adcfb76fb3423eb8b26a60babd0.jpg

Phillthebass

Haven't posted in a while. Lemmy hasn't been to good over the part week. Refusing all food and lost most of his weight on his tail. Took him to a reptile vet and he has worms and a parasite so is on a 3 week course of antibiotics (not the easiest thing to do - trying to syringe feed a gecko medicine)
Also sent off for crypto test to be sure. With any luck it's just the worms and parasite.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Phillthebass

Expecting to gear back some time this week. Slowly getting antibiotics into Lemmy and last night he ate 2 crickets. With any luck that's a good sign

Phillthebass

Truly devastated. Results came back and it's positive. Breaks my heart but I think next visit to vet and he won't be coming home. Cant help but fell I've let him down I think he's to I'll for any quality of life and I need to do what's right.

Thanks for you encouragement and support. I appreciate it

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Sorry to hear about the crypto. Do you have any other reptiles? As you may have noticed from other posts, I have a house full of crypto positive reptiles, which means that no new reptiles come in and none go out unless someone wants to take one (free) and has no other reptiles. I've lost a couple of mine to crypto so far, but now, with one exception, everyone is fat an happy though positive.

Aliza

Phillthebass

Thankfully only the 1 reptile. After he has gone all equipment is being destroyed. He's lost prey much all his far reserves and isn't eating so think putting him to sleep is the right thing to do :(

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I agree. I would have done the same thing, but I wasn't going to put 70 gecko to sleep. I'm sorry you're going through this and hope that you will decide one day to try again.
Just out of curiosity, where did you get the gecko from?

Aliza

Phillthebass

I agree. I would have done the same thing, but I wasn't going to put 70 gecko to sleep. I'm sorry you're going through this and hope that you will decide one day to try again.
Just out of curiosity, where did you get the gecko from?

Aliza
It was a local reptile shop in the UK. The guy there is really stand up and has been very helpful all the way through. It's possible that Lemmy had it all along but also possible that it came from line food, never know really

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I ask because you should let the pet shop guy know in case the problem originated in his shop. He may want to have some of his geckos tested to be sure.

Aliza

Visit our friends