Tank setup help!

Hip

Hey guys, I just got two leopard geckos from a buddy of mine. He does have a very good setup at all. 55 gal tank with lose sand and only one light. The tank only gets to about 75 degrees. I need some help as I’ve never owned these before. Thanks in advance!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Briefly, what you'll need to do it to get rid of the sand and either get reptile-carpet (ask for it at a pet store) or ceramic tile (go to a home store like Home Depot, go to the flooring department and buy cheap [can be less than $2 a tile] lightly textured 12"x12" floor tiles. You can either have the tiles cut to fit the enclosure, or you can combine tiles with paper towels or reptile carpet. You could also use paper towels, but in an enclosure that size I think they're going to keep getting pulled around. Get an under tank heater made for an enclosure that size (the gallon size is on the package) and a thermostat. At this point I'm going to recommend that you google "leopard gecko care" and read care sheets to get more details because this is getting beyond the scope of a single post. Feel free to come back and ask questions about what you've read.

Aliza

Hip

My biggest question right now is proper heating. I’ve got a 100watt ceramic on the hot side with the 100watt daylight bulb but it’s still only 80 degrees. I’ve placed a heating pad under the cool side with just a regular day light and that sits around 70-75 degrees. Trying to get the hot side to 90 but I think the lights are too high ( tank sits 21inches tall). Thanks for the advice!!! Really appreciate it!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Are you talking about floor temp or air temp? in my opinion 70-75 is a fine air temp. The under tank heater + thermostat will solve your heat problem for the floor and the proper air temp will follow.

Aliza

Visit our friends