Tank Size

ARiES

THE GECKO MAN
Ok everybody. I've got a female bell albino whos about 5 years old and isn't going to get much bigger..I've got her in a 10 gallon tank but i feel like she needs more space. Would a 15 gallon be ok to move her into? Or should i just stick with the 10 gallon? Need your input people..

Sincerely, Aries

l_e1f5df2e89784cd19132ffb878f233d1.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's really up to you. A 10 gallon is fine in my opinion, but a 15 or 20 is good too. If you are already thinking of upgrading, you may as well go for the 20 if you can accommodate it. You could also build a small "upstairs" for the 10.

Aliza

VampyricAngelX

My male Mikko used to be in a 10 gallon and he's alot smaller than your gecko is but he looked so cramped to me. Especially after coming out of a 55 gallon long tank I used to have him and Dante share (before they got big enough to sex). Moved him into a 15 and he seems much happier. But I agree, if you can, a 20 gallon long would do nicely.

Olimpia

La Española
I would also upgrade. Because it's easier to have a warm hide and a moist hide that way and still have space for them to walk around. Plus, you have more room to play with a really interesting and enriching environment for her, which I believe is important to their happiness. I know a lot of people have their geckos in very sterile tanks, but I personally believe that they are probably more stimulated in something that has lots of things to climb, to hide under, and to dig. But that's another topic all together haha. But yea, I think that if you have the money and the space, give her more room to live in :)

Olimpia

La Española
And while I'm here, does everyone agree that that gecko is what he says it is? Because I have one that looks exactly the same, but I thought she was a different morph. It's so hard to establish what anything is haha

Gregg M

Registered Member
A 10 gallon sized cage is plenty of space of an adult leo... Bigger is not always better as some may think... Reptiles like geckos are known to do better in smaller cages... In general, reptiles are not comfortable in open spaces and when set up in larger open cages they will spend more time in their hides...

Also, reptiles do not need interesting and enriching environments... They really only need the basics (water, hides, proper diet, heat and humidity) to be "happy"... The only one pleased by interesting and enriching reptile environments is the person keeping the reptile...

Olimpia

La Española
I would have to politely dissagree, but that's just my personal opinion haha. I used to have mine in 10 gal tanks and they used to spend their nights clawing at the sides of the tank, like they wanted to get out. And now they're in 20 gal tanks with fake trees and other things to climb and they just seem much happier with their environment. It's not like they wag their tails or anything, but I've noticed a change in their behaviour and so have my roommates, so I'm gonna side with that they're happier.

Visit our friends