Target 75% Nieves male

robin

this is my "Target". he has since passed from when these photos were taken. He did not bounce back from a breeding season and died about three or so years ago. a son to Kelli's Roxy and He is a half sibling to Electra, the gecko that started Kelli's "electric line". these are the only pictures i have of him. he had perfect bright orange spots or blotches down his back, hence his name.
Heis 75% Nieves Tang.

IM007182.jpg

IM007190.jpg

to this day Target was the most unique and beautiful gecko i have ever owned.

Last edited:

Ga_herps

Southern leo breeder
Beautiful gecko to say the least. I hate to hear that you lost such a unique gecko. I really love the Nieves and crosses. My wife and I have a nice colony of them, and we love every one of them.

Last edited:

Mateusz Hajdas

www.ultimategeckos.com
WOW! He is stunning! He's head pattern is just awesome... I am sure he is in gecko heaven. Are there any pure Nives out there?

robin

as far as i know, there are no pure nieves out there. i would assume by this point in time the most you MIGHT be able to find is half or quarter nieves animals!

here is one of Targets baby. He went to Kelli, years ago. we called him "mini Target"

minitarget2.jpg

Ian S.

Target was just the coolest!! His pattern reminds me of a diamond back terrapin! How awesome! I bet he's sorely missed.
-One of a kind- ;)

robin

indeed one of a kind and yes very much missed! since he did not bounce back from breeding season, i tried everything and i sat (as i was trying) and watched him wither away. it was one of the most heartbreaking things ever :(

robin

what happened with original Nives? Who has developed this line?

David Nieves was the originator. it was a completely unrelated line of tangerines than were out there back then (most tang line were ray hine and a couple others). i can't remember what happened to all of them. Kelli knows more about them than i do. maybe i can see if she has time to come on here and fill you guys in more. they produced some one of a kind geckos. i loved the patterns. some spectacular geckos came from the nieves line :)

SFgeckos

rip target

nice photos Robin! It's a shame there aren't more pure "Nieves" line tangerines out there. Has anyone who still works with the pure Nieves (I did for 2 seasons way back)- have you noticed the adults are smaller than the "average" adults now. I believe my "pure Nieves" breeders were all in the 40-45g gram before outcrossing

Jon

robin

nice photos Robin! It's a shame there aren't more pure "Nieves" line tangerines out there. Has anyone who still works with the pure Nieves (I did for 2 seasons way back)- have you noticed the adults are smaller than the "average" adults now. I believe my "pure Nieves" breeders were all in the 40-45g gram before outcrossing

Jon

yeah they were short and stout. i had two pure nieves females. ugly as sin. you remember how they browned up? but if you bred them to the right male they would throw some Screamers!

robin

I like how the Nieves pull a lot of green coloration. :)

yes but a lot of the purer nieves, as they aged browned badly. they were like light tan with poo brown color. LOL

thats why you had to selectively breed them and also add some of the other hypo and tang genes out there, to keep em orange and not dookie up

SFgeckos

yep!

Yea Robin, you are correct- they were very "compact" in terms of body structure.

If my memory serves me right, I believe I got a few from Kelli (I can only remember the 2 females) about a decade ago. They ovulated at around 44-45grams and I produced some babies for two seasons. When I moved they were given them to a friend of mine and I haven't seen them/heard about them since.

I can only speak for the particular "pure Nieves" tangerines that I had, but some of them did "darken" up, especially after hormonal changes during onset of the breeding season. Since then, I've seen some tangerine/jungles that "look" like the Nieves line, but they aren't. The Nieves line has a very unique and particular look- very tangerine orange with some speckles of black, others have splashes of white which made for an amazing contrast!

Photos of "pure Nieves" tangerines can be seen in "The leopard gecko manual" (purple cover is the original, the new version has a white cover with a yellow border) by Philippe De Vosjoli, Roger Klingenberg, Roger Tremper, and Brian Viets

-Jon

Visit our friends